Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default New House...

Looks like I have FINALLY sold my home...have to get past the due diligence period to feel one-hundred percent good about it...but it's in the right direction...

Wife thinks I am crazy for trying to do a show...but I can't stand it since I didn't do one at the house last year while we were on the market. Looks like we won't be moving into the new house until mid-November...at the EARLIEST...so it will be TIGHT....

QUESTION though...I am going to have them put some outlets for my show on separate circuits....would the outlets be better inside the garage...or out???

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: New House...

i for one have seen the mess at some homes with wires running out windows or crawl space openings i build a portable power panel something close to what william posted on the lor site mine is mounted on a hand truck and it has 2 of my lor pc 16s m ounted to it it has a burglar alarm on it and i plan to lock it to the house i know that locks only keep the honest honest but it will make enuff noise thay will be an easy target heres the link
    http://forums.lightorama.com/forum81/16291-1.html
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Congratulations on selling ! I used a sub-panel in my garage for my first year. And for 96 channels, I ate up almost 4000 ft of wire and had to use a 4" PVC Elbow to get the wire out the side wall of the garage. My second year had 176 channels and I added some outlets under the eaves of the roof and a couple on the front porch (behind the bushes). I only used about more 500 feet of wire fro nearly double the channels. Getting the power closer to the controllers and putting the controllers in the yard and on the roof saved about 50% wire! As I expand from here, I will grow the outside circuits, not the garage sub panel.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wish I could sell my house. I want to move out and get on my own again. I would put the outlets on the outside as well.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Congratulations Kevin. The answer to to your question is where do you plan to place the controllers. A large part of the cost of a display is extension cords. Placing the controllers nearer to the lights will lower that cost. I have a 100 amp subpanel outside mounted to the basement wall near the front yard. Directly below the panel are about 10 GFCI protected, double duplex boxes. This is an expensive option but was the best option due to the ability to expand the display when the need arises. Walter and I have also decided that I would benefit from a smaller subpanel mounted on the chimney on the roof. However, I had something like 12 controllers on the roof which would justify that expense. Furthermore, I plan to bury conduit and place outlets into the yard nearer to the road which would considerably make life easier and cleaner.

If you post a sketch of your house and yard (with good guesses for distances) and where you want to place the controllers we can make a much better recommendation.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have attached a rough draft....

IMPORTANT question...if you could plant any tree in the front yard...what would it be. I am thinking something that wont get over 20'...cause there's gonna be lights on it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -untitled-1.pdf  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, Crepe Myrtle or Japanese Red Maple in our climate. They have gnarly trunks that look great with lights and both are deciduous.

Assumptions:
    1) The driveway is 25' long.
    2) You are building a new house.
    3) Your wife will not mind stuff mounted on the garage wall.
    4) You will not have lots of stuff in the side (diningroom) and back yard.

If I were you I would cut a hole in the wall of the garage and put in something like a dryer vent (or larger) and a cover on the inside to hide the hole Jan to Nov. The wire would exit the wall outside and the hole would be protected from the elements. The hole should be a couple feet off the ground to keep snakes and rats from crawling in. I would mount my controllers on the wall of the garage and run SPT to the yard. Furthermore, I would bury me a nice piece of conduit or two or three under the driveway near the house to run SPT and electrical cords to the other side of the yard, so I would not trip over the stupid things. I would have dedicated 20Amp GFCI rate outlets mounted on the wall of the garage where the controllers are mounted. The incoming circuit breaker panel will be 200 amps. You will need an oversize breaker box to accommodate the slots for the extra breakers for the display. I would have a few outlets mounted on the roof (chimney) or eves of the house for static stuff. I would have a few outlets mounted on the side wall (diningroom) for static stuff.

I hope this helps.
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Making the same assumption Al is - this is a new house still being built.

Put a couple of outlets on separate circuits at the "other" side of the front porch, away from the garage.

Put at least one circuit on the roof, with a GFCI circuit breaker, not outlet, for this circuit. You don't want to have to go up on the roof in the winter to reset a poppped GFCI.

Run cat 5 cables from the garage to both of these places, plus the patio. You can always use an RS485 splitter later, but having cables pre-run will save you a lot of aggravation later.

Ditto on speaker wires.

Anything you can do before the sheet rock and siding goes up helps. If you want to go further, run cat 5 and power out to the edge of the property where you might put up effects, even if you don't do it for a year or three. Do NOT run these side-by-side close to each other.

I've been thinking about doing that last myself, in an existing house, just to cut down on the number of wires I might trip on.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like your list Jack. The one "mistake" that I made is my 4 circuits on my roof eave have GFCI outlets instead of breakers. And during last December's Ice-Out I was very worried that one of them would trip. They did survive tho.

The reason I didn't use GFCI breakers is because for my panel they are $120 each. With shipping that's around $500 just for 4 breakers. I could buy 3 more controllers for that money ,,, so I figure I am stuck with the GFCI outlets until I can find some good used GFCI breakers.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dang Denny, what kind of breaker box do you have? 20 Amp QO Load Square D GFCI breakers are about $60 at Lowes. They are really easy to install.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

GOOD call on the conduit under the driveway....won't conduit rust though? What size would you run?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight2 View Post
    GOOD call on the conduit under the driveway....won't conduit rust though? What size would you run?
    Use the grey plastic conduit or even more creative use some 2-3 inch Schedule 40 PVC that way you can run anything through it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Kevin, Rescue is correct. I once thought about using PVC sewer pipe (3 or 4") and turning up the sides into cleanout plugs that were flush with the ground. You could plant a small shrub in front to hide the cleanout plugs. It is a good idea to plug the conduit regardless so water (especially) and vermin don't take up residence there. If you turn the sides up don't use 90 degree bends instead try to use 45 degree or smaller to allow very easy threading of wire through the pipe. Condensation could add water to the pipe so having a way to remove the water might be a good idea. A shopvac works great. I would recommend that the conduit have sand poured around all sides to keep rocks from slicing into the plastic. It is cheap insurance. I've seen lots of pipes cut with rocks.

Geez, I plan to put a few conduits under my new driveway with one for water lines, one for speaker and network, and one or two for power cords. But I plan to bury the conduit in the yard and have outlets in the yard with some of the outlets on the other side of the driveway. The distance from my house to the road is 80 feet and having controllers next to house is not an option.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Dang Denny, what kind of breaker box do you have? 20 Amp QO Load Square D GFCI breakers are about $60 at Lowes. They are really easy to install.
    I forget the mfg name, but Dariusz is trying to help me find some used parts. He wrote them down. Insanely expensive for 20A GFCI breakers. I think they have gold switches with platinum inlays (or something) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole