Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default New forum is here!

First let me say I cleared this with William before I posted.

I know what you're thinking..... Another forum??

There is a new forum in town called Holiday University. It will be and is becoming a site for both newbies and old-bies looking to share ideas and knowledge. With all the drama recently over 'there', a good number of people have stopped posting there and are now hanging out at "HU".

We are looking to make this site a great place to get info and ideas and are hoping to attract some knowledgeable hobbyists, and as such I'm extending an invitation for all here to please sign up. There is A LOT of experience here on this site and I'm looking forward to seeing all of that over on HU.

Please take a minute and check us out!! I have no worries that this group will head straight to the head of the class!!!

(I'm not the one that started the forum, just bringing it to you in case you all have not heard of it as of yet)

Oh, and I guarantee it will NEVER have the same 'flavor' of that other place...

http://holidayuniversity.com/forums/index.php

Tell them Dano sent you and you'll get a seat up front.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

wbottomley

Default Re: New forum is here!

Dano.... If we mention your name, we'll probably get the back seat next to the broken window were the exhaust fumes will be blowing on us, lol.

Thanks for the invite!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like that idea .. I will be signing up !

I'll book it Dano ... :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    Dano.... If we mention your name, we'll probably get the back seat next to the broken window were the exhaust fumes will be blowing on us, lol.

Thanks for the invite!
    OK, well this may be true....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Heck Dan, if I use your name they'll boot me for sure! (Mine's bad enough with some of the people over there as is)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So far I'm not finding the magic over there. It's just another site full of postings. I would think a "University" would have a Wiki that is contributed by members .. and managed by the Moderators who specialize in each topic area. I did not find that over there. I would also say that's what we need here !

The first post that made about repairing blowmolds was met with .. "we posted that a long time ago" .. So I should have been able to find the information easily. I could not. And I looked before I made my post. I did not find their site any different than this one <so far>. Looks like a bunch of nice guys and they have a good set of rules right up front.

But where's the University there ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

Can't believe you were "suckered" by the "University" name and was really expecting anything different.

I looked at the site back in late October or so. Just the same people that hang out on Planet Christmas or Constantly Christmas forums. Many of them several years ago wanted to join the Synchronized Christmas Lights forum but were denied membership. (Except for Dano, he was welcomed into SCL). So they started their own forum this past summer where they could make their own rules. That's fine, but just not for me.

It was sort of a result of the ICE and ChicagoLand groups.

They probably figured if the Carolina bunch could have their own forum, then they could to.

Lot's of my friends are members of the "University", but the last thing I need in my life right now is another forum to keep up with. 14 holiday themed forums are enough for me without adding another one right now.

As far as repairing blow molds - Carrie Sansing really knows her stuff. She is a pro using a "Plastic Welder" to repair molds and in stripping and repainting them. She has been posting her tips and methods for years on some of the other boards and now on the "University". Maybe the comment that you saw was in reference to something that was posted in one of her tutorials on Constantly Christmas since the membership of the two is many of the same people.

I wish them the very best and much success.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, I am the admin at HU, I'd like to respond to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    So far I'm not finding the magic over there. It's just another site full of postings. I would think a "University" would have a Wiki that is contributed by members .. and managed by the Moderators who specialize in each topic area. I did not find that over there. I would also say that's what we need here !

The first post that made about repairing blowmolds was met with .. "we posted that a long time ago" .. So I should have been able to find the information easily. I could not. And I looked before I made my post. I did not find their site any different than this one <so far>. Looks like a bunch of nice guys and they have a good set of rules right up front.

But where's the University there ?
    First, did you visit the main page, or just the forums? The main page, which is still getting content loaded as it is just in it's infancy, has a wiki (which is still getting content loaded) and will have how-tos and much of the other information that you have pointed out. The moderators of each board are as closely matched as possible to the "subject" at hand.

Regarding the post you refer to about the blow mold repair, the responder was merely stating that Carrie had posted that information a while ago, NOT NECESSARILY ON HU.

Thank you for giving Holiday University a chance.
    Last edited by joneslights; 12-31-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Denny,

Can't believe you were "suckered" by the "University" name and was really expecting anything different.

I looked at the site back in late October or so. Just the same people that hang out on Planet Christmas or Constantly Christmas forums.

Many of them several years ago wanted to join the Synchronized Christmas Lights forum but were denied membership. (Except for Dano, he was welcomed into SCL). So they started their own forum this past summer where they could make their own rules. That's fine, but just not for me.
    Holiday University was started by ME on September 21, 2010, not the summer. I started it on my own without any initial help. I merely tried to come up with something totally different in the "holiday decorating" website arena. Several people have been gracious enough to step up and help out, they all volunteered.

It was sort of a result of the ICE and ChicagoLand groups.

They probably figured if the Carolina bunch could have their own forum, then they could to.

This statement is totally false, it was not started as a function of, or part of ICE (or Chicago). As I just stated, I started it by myself to help people spread a little cheer.

Granted, I started both ICE and Holiday University and currently they are two different animals.

Lot's of my friends are members of the "University", but the last thing I need in my life right now is another forum to keep up with. 14 holiday themed forums are enough for me without adding another one right now.
    If you frequent 14 other holiday themed forums, you are right, you don't need another forum to keep up with.

As far as repairing blow molds - Carrie Sansing really knows her stuff. She is a pro using a "Plastic Welder" to repair molds and in stripping and repainting them. She has been posting her tips and methods for years on some of the other boards and now on the "University". Maybe the comment that you saw was in reference to something that was posted in one of her tutorials on Constantly Christmas since the membership of the two is many of the same people.
    I agree about Carrie really knowing her stuff. That's why when she volunteered to help out, I asked her to moderate/teach the blow mold section. The referenced post was about another forum.

I wish them the very best and much success.
    Thank you, John. I know that if we all work together, it will be better for all those that we serve. After all, we're here to spread cheer in the holidays, at least that what my intentions are.

I wish you the very best as well.

Greg Jones
    Owner, Holiday University

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

[QUOTE=joneslights;11265]Holiday University was started by ME on September 21, 2010, not the summer. I started it on my own without any initial help. I merely tried to come up with something totally different in the "holiday decorating" website arena. Several people have been gracious enough to step up and help out, they all volunteered.

This statement is totally false, it was not started as a function of, or part of ICE (or Chicago). As I just stated, I started it by myself to help people spread a little cheer.

Granted, I started both ICE and Holiday University and currently they are two different animals.

If you frequent 14 other holiday themed forums, you are right, you don't need another forum to keep up with.

I agree about Carrie really knowing her stuff. That's why when she volunteered to help out, I asked her to moderate/teach the blow mold section. The referenced post was about another forum.

Thank you, John. I know that if we all work together, it will be better for all those that we serve. After all, we're here to spread cheer in the holidays, at least that what my intentions are.

I wish you the very best as well.

Greg Jones
    Owner, Holiday University[/QUOTE

Well here we go. People from PlanetChristmas coming here bringing their problems here. John and Denny gave their opinions on this forum not yours. Please do not bring PlanetChristmas posting here.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have choosen to recant my statement after me and Greg have talked we feel as both come across wrong
    Last edited by rescue_653; 12-31-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

....... Rescue and I feel things come across differently in a post than in person.
    Last edited by joneslights; 12-31-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Carl B Zachary

Greg

I feel you were just trying to clarify thing. I don't thing your were being an A**.

Carl

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow guys...I'm almost ashamed to call myself a Carolinian after reading this thread. I thought we were better than this.

I understand when we launched this forum we didn't want PC bullshit to take it over but to give a bad review of a new up and coming forum without giving it a fighting chance and to blast the owner when he just come in to clarify facts. That's just rude.

I almost thought I was reading the Texas forum...with terms like walking on Carolina soil...

I remember once upon a time when each and every person here was feeling the frustration from PC and not getting what they wanted out of that forum or others available. We went out on our own and started SCL and this place and we were not silent when someone had something to say about it either. Why would you expect that of Greg?

He has started a nice new forum. I'm a member as well as a ton of other very creative people. Why not help it thrive instead of tearing it down. Haven't we had enough of that?
    Jen...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am a member of HU and learn more there than I do here. This forum only really lets me keep up with the Carolina people. Not much "stuff" involved with this site. As it stands now I am not a member of PC. I am enjoying the time out chair for saying "who cares". HU was mainly started as a place for us "outsiders" or "jerks" on PC to go to. It consists of lots of old timers from PC so give it some time and you will start seeing informative posts. Its just in its baby steps. PC didn't become what it is now in 4 months.