Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEGA TREE - Hum, LED's, Minies, C6, or C9? What Do You Think?

Western NC Light-O-Holics Donnie Kings Mtn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default MEGA TREE - Hum, LED's, Minies, C6, or C9? What Do You Think?

I came up with a bright idea of building a 20í Mega Tree this year. Building it isnít a problem. What is driving me Crazy is the question of ďWhat Lights Do I Put On ItĒ?

Iíve read so much about what people say about the different types of bulbs until Iím batty. Capacity or electrical load isnít an issue because I have (2) High Pwr LOR controllers devoted to the Mega Tree (32 channels). I think Iím going to use 12 slices w/ 3-colors.

So that leads me to a few questions:

What will look the best?

LEDís Ė The white LEDís have the standard bluish hue to them & may not be as bright. The color LEDís show up nice and bright. Theyíre dependable & use less power.
    Miniís Ė They show up well but the availability of 25í Green & Red strings appear to be limited.
    C7 Ė They seem to be okay butÖ
    C9 Ė Bright, readily available, they use a lot of power.

So I want to turn to my friends on Christmas Carolina. Somebody help me! My hair is turning Grey and itís Started Falling Out!

Your input & recommendations will be appreciated!

Donnie
    Western NC Light-O-Holic

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: MEGA TREE - Hum, LED's, Minies, C6, or C9? What Do You Think?

No matter what you do you'll have trouble finding 25 ft sets. And some LEDs might take two or more sets for a single slice. I suggest you look on eBay for the Red and Green Minis. You should find the 24.5 ft sets. And hopefully from a seller who can get them out quick .. I am biased towards the incandescent lights. I use a lot of C7 and C9 on my house but I never thought they were dense enough for the Mega-Tree. My tree is 32 channels .. but I also wanted blue lights for my American Theme songs. So I use four colors, 8 slices each. And I use two strings per slice. So 64 strings of minis on the full tree. It's not quite as "smooth" looking as 12 or 16 slices per color ... but extra flexible with color effects.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

I would go with LED's.

Why,

1) they make warm whites that are close to clear incandescents.
    2) bulbs will not shatter
    3) most likely the entire string goes out instead of one pesky bulb causing the problem.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Kings Mtn View Post

So that leads me to a few questions:

What will look the best?

LED’s – The white LED’s have the standard bluish hue to them & may not be as bright. The color LED’s show up nice and bright. They’re dependable & use less power. If you use the warm white LEDs, they are very bright, no blue tint, and they look just like the incadescents in color. I use all C6 sealed, full wave LEDs on mine.

Mini’s – They show up well but the availability of 25’ Green & Red strings appear to be limited. Why do you need 25' strings? I made a few calculations based on using 32 strings on 20 ft tree:

21 ft string = 1.25 inches between strings at the ground with a base radius of 6.4 feet
    22 ft string = 1.75 inches between strings at the ground with a base radius of 9.17 ft
    23 ft string = 2.25 inches between strings at the ground with a base radius of 11.3 ft
    24 ft string = 2.61 inches between strings at the ground with a base radius of 13.25 ft
    25 ft string = 2.95 inches between strings at the ground with a base radius of 15.0 ft
    (25 ft string - That's 30 ft in diameter at the base ! )

In my opinion, a 21 - 22 ft string would do really well.

C7 – They seem to be okay but… but what ??

C9 – Bright, readily available, they use a lot of power. Yep, 32 strings of 25 ct C9 = 48 amps

So I want to turn to my friends on Christmas Carolina. Somebody help me! My hair is turning Grey and it’s Started Falling Out!

Your input & recommendations will be appreciated!

Donnie
    What kinds of lights do you already have? I am partial to LEDs. But only the good ones, not the ones that the retail stores carry.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I use 24 total channels. 8 White, 8 Blue and 8 red. 4 light strings per channel. For instance when a channel is turned on, 2 strings on one side light up and exactly straight across, the other two are on. When I set up my first Mega Tree I didnt think it would be enough channels, but it looks great. I used Richard Holdmans setup. http://www.holdman.com/christmas/projects.asp Go to 6min 30sec and again at 19min 8sec. I even used the same pole setup and it works perfect.

As far as bulbs. I personally would stay with minis, regardless of color. The first year I used all LED (White, blue, red) I didnt like the look of the white led's. So I switched to regular white minis and stayed with the blue and red led minis. The blue and red led's are SUPER bright. All Walmart brand. Im on my third year with the same strings. No problems.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    And some LEDs might take two or more sets for a single slice.
    A string of 70 count LEDs with 4" bulb spacing is 21 feet in length, in my opinion a perfect size for a 20 ft tree.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I used 4 colors last year, 16 each of Red, Green, Blue and White. 64 Channels All C6 LEDs
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Also the LED strings are shorter so my Mega tree is at about 15'. The LED strings go straight to the controller plug. The white incandescents do too but there is a lot of slack left over. I just pile/coil it up near the base pole. It looks fine and Im really picky. I can send some pics if you would like.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I go to everyone else's house and look at them! They're so pretty! My tiny front yard wouldn't hold a megatree. Would take up most of the space available. Now if I ever move lights into the backyard, that's a WHOLE 'nother ball game. I'll be referring back to the thread with the calculations on how to build a megatree.

Sorry, I'm no help this year...

I will add that I'm going as much LED as possible. If I'm gonna buy new lights and not want to rewire the entire house, then there's no point in buying incandescents, imho. I know others are partial to them and that's fine. It's just not for me. And I don't mind the blue tint, though I did buy mostly "warm" LEDs for my show this year...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I will add that I'm going as much LED as possible. If I'm gonna buy new lights and not want to rewire the entire house, then there's no point in buying incandescents, imho. I know others are partial to them and that's fine. It's just not for me. And I don't mind the blue tint, though I did buy mostly "warm" LEDs for my show this year...
    Scott, the first time I met you, I knew you were a smart man!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

When anyone asks about light selections, we all throw in our same old opinions that we've said over and over before. Cracks me up ! Will we ever convince each other any different ? . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . .
    . . .
    . .
    ..... < no >
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Will we ever convince each other any different ?
    ..... < no >
    Denny - agreed. It's kinda like talking politics with anyone with differing viewpoints. Or talking to John or Al about anything...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

To put us slightly back on track, I'll add for Donnie that if he REALLY wants to do a megatree appropriately, he needs pixels!!!

- Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Some of you may ask: ďWhat is a C6Ē? Well, thatís easy to answer. Itís a special bulb that only us old farts have access to. LOL

Let me tell you what kind of LEDs I have on hand. I have the GE Stay Bright Cool White & Multi, 12.2 ft that come w/ 3-year warranty from Lowes. So Iíll have to use 2 sets per slice for a 20í tree. I didnít think I would need anymore SPT2 wire this year so I didnít order any. Yep, Iím a big dummyÖ You always need SPT2 wireÖ

My plan is to use the light string at the bottom of the tree to run to the controllers /center of the tree. Iím trying to save on the extension cords.

Iím planning to have a base that is 1 Ĺ times the height of the tree. 20í height = 30í circumference. Is that a good guess?

I think Iíll go ahead and use the LEDs I have on hand. Heck after using tons of them on my other displays, I still have 108 strings of white & 72 strings of multi. I still need to buy either red or green. Iíll have to see what I can find available.

You guys are Great! I was second-guessing what I was doing and now Iím back on track. My wife Thanks You as well. Now she doesnít have to listen to me asking her What She Thinks. Ha hahahahha

Donnie
    Western NC Light-O-Holic

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott, Are those the lights you picked up at Big Lots? LOL... Just kidding... That's cool. Give me some specs on them. Can they sync up with an audio track? I like tinkering in the shop building stuff. After 25 years of having to work in electronics I now find myself playing with various types of equipment.
    Donnie
    Western NC Light-O-Holic