Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEGA TREE - Hum, LED's, Minies, C6, or C9? What Do You Think?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: MEGA TREE - Hum, LED's, Minies, C6, or C9? What Do You Think?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Kings Mtn View Post
    Some of you may ask: “What is a C6”? Well, that’s easy to answer. It’s a special bulb that only us old farts have access to. LOL Or my favorite style of LED light, I have 220 strings of C6 LEDs, 13,880 bulbs and I order more every year.

I’m planning to have a base that is 1 ½ times the height of the tree. 20’ height = 30’ circumference. Is that a good guess?
    ? 1 1/2 times 20 foot = 30 foot radius = 60 foot diameter = 188 feet circumference ??
    or Do you mean 5 foot radius = 10 foot diameter = 31.42 circumference

Since you would be using 2 strings at 12.2 ft then for a 20 foot tree with 24.4 ft strings you would end up with a radius of 13.98 ft, diameter of 27.96 ft and a circumference of 87.84 feet with a ground spacing between strings of 2.75 inches.

Donnie
    Just my opinion, but great that you chose to use LEDs.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    When anyone asks about light selections, we all throw in our same old opinions that we've said over and over before. Cracks me up ! Will we ever convince each other any different ? . . . . . . . . . .
    No Denny, you will never convince me to go back to the "old style" incadescent lights. lol
    With 744 strands and over 41.000 LED bulbs, this old fart is set in his ways
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott, that video is so old fashioned and out of date. lol

After all that was Andrew's 2009 tree. Can't wait to see what his 2010 tree looks like

Donnie,

The specs:

A string of lights 13.75 ft long contains 42 RGB nodes and costs $105 Each of the 42 nodes is individually addressable to be any color at any point in the song.

The node controller will drive 4 strings and costs $185

DMX controlled and yes as Andrew showed in the video they are sync'd to music

Now you can guess how many strings he has for each vertical slice, each individually controlled, how many slices are on the tree, how many T3 4 string controllers he used, and what the total bill added up to in $$$
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is Andrew's latest addition to his display for 2010 that he has revealed. 16 ft tall, 8 ft wide.

It really takes off about 1 minute into the video.

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Kings Mtn View Post

Let me tell you what kind of LEDs I have on hand. I have the GE Stay Bright Cool White & Multi, 12.2 ft ...
    Well, if you use the multis in your display, the people driving past your display will think you are a Yankee and throw Moon Pie wrappers and RC Cola bottles in your yard. If you do use those multis, make sure you put a charity box in your yard with a big sign that says, "Give money so that I can buy white lights and not look like a Yankee's house anymore".

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Scott, the first time I met you, I knew you were a smart man!
    Oh geez Scott, now he is going to want to borrow something which he normally breaks.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I go to everyone else's house and look at them! They're so pretty! My tiny front yard wouldn't hold a megatree. Would take up most of the space available. Now if I ever move lights into the backyard, that's a WHOLE 'nother ball game. I'll be referring back to the thread with the calculations on how to build a megatree.

Sorry, I'm no help this year...

I will add that I'm going as much LED as possible. If I'm gonna buy new lights and not want to rewire the entire house, then there's no point in buying incandescents, imho. I know others are partial to them and that's fine. It's just not for me. And I don't mind the blue tint, though I did buy mostly "warm" LEDs for my show this year...

Scott!

You have plenty of room in your front yard for a megatree! You're thinking way too two-dimensional. Who says the bottom of themegatree has to be on the ground?

Build a 10 or 15 foot megatree, with the top 25 to 30 feet up and the bottom 15 feet off the ground. Since your front yard is on a slope, it's up to you to determine 15 feet off the ground at which point; probably at the pole.

That'll give you plenty of room to put things under it and visible from quite a distance. Just guy it well and follow Al's advice - steel/iron pole.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott - I just had another thought. A giant snowflake in your front yard - "the crystaline entity" that Lor worked with in Star Trek Next Generation.......you have LOR.......sorry.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott, I'm sure we could get 600 channels with with a loaded Mega-Tree, candy cane pinwheel, mega-flake and a zillion other items in that yard. Your driveway could have massive arches across it (that you actually drive under to enter). The yard could handle at least 48 mini-trees with 3 colors on each. Notice the mini-tree farm area in the original Wizards in Winter.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Western NC Light-O-Holics Donnie Kings Mtn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al - Moon Pie and RC Cola – Now were talken! Heck I’ll go out and swap em a Bag of Peanuts and a Grape Soda.

We’ll show em what real southern hospitality is like…
    Western NC Light-O-Holic