Thread: PLUS 2011

wbottomley

Exclamation PLUS 2011

Here's what I find very interesting from one of Chuck's post.

"Bottom line is attending PLUS is an investment."

Link to post.

Open your wallets my friends... here comes some highway robbery!

I will be there but in the vendor's area only then hit some flea markets.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: PLUS 2011

The only thing worse than having a PLUS in Gatlinburg again is having it the week of July 4th. And the only thing worse than that is having it in KY on any weekend.

Given the number of people that put out LOR for 7-4 I do not see it as a rollicking success. But I have been wrong in the past and may be wrong again.

wbottomley

I couldn't agree more Dale.

And, it's an investment?

What is he thinking? No wonder I removed myself from the LOR dealer program.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

He has always said that. I guess he is saying it is worth the cost because you learn and gain so much from it. He said PLUS is out of the hotel business so I am wondering if that means PLUS will be at a convention center, ranch, middle of nowhere, or what. If he didn't already say it was in Galinburg I would have figured he was having it on a dude ranch.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Uh, it is an investment. He just doesn't say it's an investment that returns nicely but only for him. Some of the vendors may recover their costs out of it, and perhaps make enough new customer contacts to make it worth while.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We just finished the Lone Star Holidays with over 130 people (sold out the facility). 5 vendors, 4 meals, 24 classes, 2 days... for $35. Why can we do it but Chuck can't? Oh yeah! We're not trying to pocket $50k!

Should be interesting to see how he's going to get all that money and fill the vendor room without Tim Rosario's tens of thousands of dollars.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with that Ryan. I can't figure out why you can have yours so cheap and ours costs hundreds. Something doesn't add up. I think Jeff Womack did the figures and came up with Chuck making a nice $30k profit or something like that off of it. PLUS won't be the same without Tim but after the grilling he took on MHD as it was closing I doubt we see him again.

The Lady In The House! crazylightlady's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

With the proliferation of Minis, Conventions, Meet and Greets, Red-Cup Socials, and workshops held all over the country and overseas, PLUS's day has come and gone. I feel that Chuck has made his future plans for PLUS loud and clear with his choice of venue and timing. I feel he's trying to make it more of a tourist activity for all things Christmas. Like SEMA or maybe even a gun show, charge a nominal fee at the door and pack the place with as many vendors as possible, and draw in the hoards. More power to him, I'm sure he's realized that the core group of dedicated enthusiast no longer contribute on PC and he needs to find a new audience.

PC is steadfastly ignoring the fastest growing sector of the hobby, the DIY community, (my opinion here, might be simply because of his involvement with a certain well know vendor). There are so many new and truly amazing innovations being developed that just is not ever discussed on PC and is probably never going to be presented at PLUS.

wbottomley

Al... agreed!

The DIY community is growing fast. People aren't as ignorant as Chuck seems to think.

With more and more investing time in DIY, it's only getting better from here.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I could tell you stories about the PLUS that was held in Pigeon Forge. I made my investment. In fact, I even sunk more money as a "sponsor" or something else that allowed me to attend a pre-dinner reception with the mayor of PF. It also got us in the vendor room half a day early or something. And you know what happened? The sponsors or whatever we were called were supposed to get special seats at the banquet, which was held outside. Guess where we ended up? Out by the pool, almost as far away from the stage area as you could get.

And then I asked for some of the presentations electronically, rather than just get the printed book. Got a flat turn down, saying something about author's rights or the like.

Needless to say, I got a much better reception last year (or was it the year before?) at the Texas event, and for a lot less money too! Chuck actually turned out at one of those Texas events - and told me it was much like the "early years" of PLUS. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was probably better, especially due to the size of the classes and the personal attention you got from the vendors and teachers.

I really wanted to get to the event this year, but health issues prevented me from getting out there.

I do have to agree with Annalisa - the old days of a single show like PLUS are said and gone. Much like some of the big computer shows and other such shows, there will still be a few big ones that still draw crowds. But for the enthusiasts, life has moved on to smaller, more regional events with a core group that does more than get together once a year. They may have monthly or quarterly meetings, and discuss a much wider range of projects and topics.

There is a Tenn mini this weekend north of PF. I was thinking of going, but again, circumstances kept me from venturing too far from home.

Well, enough of rehashing stuff that's already been said - looking forward to August near Charlotte, and other local events.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oh it wasn't all that bad Mark. You got to sit with me!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

couldn't agree more with you guys and annalisa. Well said. GO DYI and Aussie!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Caudill View Post
    Oh it wasn't all that bad Mark. You got to sit with me!
    That's true, Brad - I did get to sit with you, out by the pool, in the humid TN summer, and get to wait in a buffet line where the food was almost gone....etc... It could have been worse!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It could have been. Not sure how but I am sure it could have been.