Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: CDI OFFICIAL PRE ORDER

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Since Al is confused and while Paul has all this on his website with pictures, he doesn't hang out on the boards too much, I'll post some explanations and Paul can chime in later if he desires. Paul's website url is in his sig in the first post.

attachon plug = what some call vampire plugs and sockets for zipcord

Zipcord = SPT3 wire - same physical size as SPT1 with UV inhibator added to the insulation

C6 = Strawberry shaped full wave rectified LED light string 4" bulb spacing DIMMABLE

M6 = mini light size full wave rectified LED light string 4" bulb spacing DIMMABLE

C9 retro = C9 size screw in replacement with 5 LEDs DIMMABLE

C7 retro = C7 size screw in replacement with 3 LEDs DIMMABLE

why can't I dim a C9 LED ? Al, don't know why you can't dim a C9 LED, but the rest of us CAN, if we buy them from Paul. Paul's products dim very well!
    Crap - I should have scrolled down one more!!!!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

One last thing - I don't get to all the boards like I should. If things get backed up here without an answer from me, please let me know at paul@creativedisplays.com and I will get right to it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Don't worry, Paul, we'll keep you honest with answers....

As another testimory to Paul, I did buy 500 C-7 LED replacements from Paul this past year - they now rim my roof and look great! Didn't find one bad one in the bunch!

And any lights that are still in boxes this year will get used next year, for sure!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow ! Somehow I missed this post. I guess I need to get planning. I love my incandescents tho. Every year I am tempted to replace my C9s with LED DIMMABLE replacements (approx 220 of them), and my roof C7s (approx 180 at 12" spacing). Would also like to move to 6" spacing if I did LEDs.

I fear that the LED C7/C9s will have too much of a "hard" glow, rather than the nice pillow-smooth look I have now. Since the "expanse" of my roof is quite large, I also get some amazing effects by dimming my bulbs WAY down to barely a glow .. and then fading up and down different sections within them. Works awesome on the Mega-tree too ..

John, can the LEDs do this ? I am sure tempted to move them to DC controllers too.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post

John, can the LEDs do this ? I am sure tempted to move them to DC controllers too.
    The retro LEDs can do the dimming you described. But NOT with the DC controller.

The retro C7 and C9 LEDs are designed for 120 volts, and the C7 has 3 LEDs and the C9 bulbs contain 5 LEDs. Of course, each bulb also has the other required circuits and rectifiers etc to allow use from 120 volts and dimming built into the base.

The LOR DC board is limited to a max of 60 volts DC. Not the best application (wouldn't work) for the LOR CMB-16D DC card to try to control the 120 volts retro bulbs.

I use my C7 retro lights with the regular LOR controllers.

So far I have only used 12 volt bulbs with my DC controller card.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You know Denny a 120 Volt DC controller would make LED dimming easy. We should explore that.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes .. Let's look into some DIY DC controllers.
    Last edited by kidcole; 12-27-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

My questions is... the 70ct is 23 feet long. Comparing them to Walmart 100ct mini's, are they shorter, same, or longer?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    My questions is... the 70ct is 23 feet long. Comparing them to Walmart 100ct mini's, are they shorter, same, or longer?
    What is the bulb spacing on the 100 ct from Walmart? I just looked at a box of red 100 ct minis, that were 24 ft long.

Pauls 50 ct are 17 feet, 70 ct are 23 ft and 100 ct are 33 ft. All with 4" bulb spacing.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

wbottomley

John, I think they are 4 inches too. Let me go check.

Nope... 3 inches.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    You know Denny a 120 Volt DC controller would make LED dimming easy. We should explore that.
    Hmm, maybe I'm missing something. What kind of LEDs will you try to dim with a 120 volt DC controller?

Are you going to make your own strings from scratch?

Speaking only of the CDI LED strings, they dim very well with LOR, no snubbers or any of that stuff needed..

To use them with a DC controller, wouldn't you have to cut off the existing rectifier/resistor circuits, and there may be 4 such "blobs" per string, and replace with newly made ones depending on the LED lamp and trying to keep a current drop of 17-20 ma across each LED?

And use polorized plugs?

And build 120 vdc power supplies to run though the boards?

Seems like a lot of extra design and construction work, but could be interesting.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hmm, maybe I'm missing something. What kind of LEDs will you try to dim with a 120 volt DC controller?

Are you going to make your own strings from scratch?

Speaking only of the CDI LED strings, they dim very well with LOR, no snubbers or any of that stuff needed..

To use them with a DC controller, wouldn't you have to cut off the existing rectifier/resistor circuits, and there may be 4 such "blobs" per string, and replace with newly made ones depending on the LED lamp and trying to keep a current drop of 17-20 ma across each LED?

And use polorized plugs?

And build 120 vdc power supplies to run though the boards?

Seems like a lot of extra design and construction work, but could be interesting.
    The string's rectifier would pass DC in the proper polarity which means the plug's orientation is of no concern. In a light string the current flow is dictated by the total voltage drop be it AC or DC. Using DC would allow NO flickering so half-wave strings would glow constantly and would dim closer to 0 volts than with AC. I just said a little lie but for the most part it is correct. In my untested theoretical opinion the LEDs would look better. Half-wave LED strings would perform as good as full-waves.

The design of the powersupply for the boards would be tailored to the proper DC level. It would work with incandescents too but with no added benefit other than supply line reverse subharmonic induction which would be a nice benefit for me and those of us with lots of highspeed dimming operations. The reverse inducted noise would be easier (read cheaper) to trap with DC than AC.

In simple terms, the LED strings would like DC better than AC. I am not trying to be a smartbutt. John, Denny, Mark, Michael and a few others understand what I just said.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

When I get back to work next week I will take one of my half-wave led string and put it on the DC power supply and try it out.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think this is the last day to take advantage of Paul's offers ... way down below. I thought I would post a reminder in case some of you still wanted to place an order. His prices are very good !

I was going to place an order today and when I called Paul, I got stuck on the bulk quantities for the C9 LED Bulbs ! His price is very good for the 5-LED C9s and he says they are dimable (probably full wave rectified). I was already running over budget with my order today for about $600 worth .. but then he told me I had to order them in lots of 50. When I recalculated in 50s, I would spend over $900 and have roughly 1/3rd of the bulbs that I cannot use. So I decided not to add the C9 LEDs this year. I have at least four zillion ideas for this year, and I cannot do all of them anyhow .. Paul was very cordial on the phone, in spite of my not understanding his terms !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

wasn't sure that Paul was still taking orders today, so I placed one late on Friday.

I ordered more C7 replacements - I've still got at least half a spool of sockets sitting in storage.

Mark
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!