Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default RENZILLA GROUP BUY IS OPEN

Announcing the official GROUP BUY for RENZILLA CIRCUIT BOARDS ONLY.

The group buy will end on May 1st, and is likely the ONLY group buy to be offered on these boards in 2014. Following this group buy, all the boards will be available at regular prices in the DIGWDF Store. Because of the plethora of available options and the resulting organization/sorting of component parts, we've decided not to offer a BOM for this group buy, but the Renzilla BOM will likely be available through Chris' store at www.radiant-holidays.com. Most of the parts for a Renzilla are header pins and DIP sockets and while there are a lot of solder joints to make, it's an easy board to assemble.

Renzilla is a modular controller concept and there are several possible configuration options to a Renzilla
    implementation, giving the end user unprecedented control flexibility. All the adapter boards are optional depending on how you intend to implement Renzilla in your setup. Therefore, think through your proposed implementation before making your decisions. Important: the Renzilla controller does not contain any Triacs nor is it designed to directly power LEDs or pixel strings. Renzilla requires external SSRs of either the AC or DC type to control lights, such as the DirkCheapSSR or the Renard Plus DCSSR. The various options are explained below:

RENZILLA - This is the main, 96-channel Renard controller board. The Renzilla BOM costs about $45 for the "deluxe"
    build; $38 for the "econo" build using lesser-expensive 2x8 header pins instead of the more-expensive keyed header
    sockets. Renzilla supports either the PIC16F688 or the PIC16F1825 chips and you can mix and match 16F688 and
    16F1825 chips on the same board (the on-board 18.432 mhz oscillator is required if using the 16F688 chip). Renard
    start address firmware is recommended; Renard-DMX firmware (for the respective PIC chip used) is also supported by
    Renzilla.

RENZILLA RJ45 ADAPTER - OPTIONAL - this is an adapter board that plugs into one side of the Renzilla controller's
    header pins. It is populated with 12 RJ45 jacks (for a total of 48 channels) and provides for normal RJ45
    connections to common, external SSRs. Two RJ45 adapter boards are needed if you plan to connect all 96 channels
    using CAT5 to your existing SSRs. You may order only one RJ45 adapter if you wish, or none if you plan to use
    something else such as use the SCISSR. The BOM to build a single RJ45 adapter is about $8 (twelve RJ45 jacks and
    six, 2x8 female headers).

RENZILLA CHANNEL TESTER - OPTIONAL - because Renzilla does not have channel status LEDs, a channel tester is
    available that you can use to plug into a row of headers and check the 8 channel outputs from that PIC. A channel
    tester is optional, but can be a handy diagnostic tool. The BOM to build a channel tester is about $2 (8 LEDs, 8
    680-ohm resistors, one 2x8 female header)

MiniRenSISO ADAPTER - OPTIONAL - Rather than build all the serial I/O electronics onto the Renzilla board, we opted for already-proven technology which plugs into the MiniRen header on the Renzilla board to give you full
    RS232/RS485 wired input/output connectivity. If you intend to use Renzilla in a wired setting (instead of
    wireless) then you need a SISO adapter so that you can run your RS232/RS485 communication wire to it. You do not
    need this adapter if you plan to use wireless communication to the Renzilla. The BOM to build a single SISO
    adapter is about $7. MiniRenSISO kits are currently available in the DIGWDF Store.

XBEE SNAP-IN BOARD - OPTIONAL - if you plan to communicate with Renzilla wirelessly, you need an XBee snap-in
    board (or equivalent). If you already have an XBee Snap-in, it will work with Renzilla. If you have other adapter
    boards from other manufacturers that use the 5-pin Ren-W header that the snap-in board also uses, those should
    work fine. The BOM to build a XBee snap-in board is about $5. XBee Snap-In Kits are currently available in the
    DIGWDF Store; special pricing on the board only is available for the Renzilla group buy only!

SCISSR - OPTIONAL - This is a Single Channel Inline SSR that's designed for Renzilla. SCISSR is a small, 1/2" x 1"
    circuit board that you solder into a string of lights immediately between the plug and the first bulb/LED. SCISSR
    uses the VO2223A chip, is limited to a maximum of 1amp current and comes in panels of 24 SSRs; you would need 4
    panels to have 96 channels. NOTE: SCISSR is not necessary -- Renzilla will work with your existing SSRs by using
    the RJ45 adapters. SCISSR is only an optional SSR configuration.

With prices are based on a group buy of 50 participants, the following PER BOARD prices apply:

• Renzilla Controller: $8 each
    • RJ45 Adapter: $4 each
    • Channel Tester: $3 each
    • MiniRenSISO: $3 each
    • SCISSR: $6 per panel of 24
    • XBee Snap-In board $3 each (special pricing for Renzilla Group Buy)

Example 1:
    Purchase all the boards to have all the options for 96 channels, you would order:
    1 - Renzilla controller board - $8.00
    2 - RJ45 Adapter boards - 2 x $4 = $8.00
    1 - Renzilla Channel Tester board - $3.00
    1 - MiniRenSISO Adapter board - $3.00
    1 - XBee Snap-In board - $3.00
    4 - SCISSR panels (24 per panel, 96 SCISSR boards) 4 x $6 = $24.00
    The cost for all 10 boards would total $49 plus applicable shipping & PayPal fees.

Example 2:
    Order the basics to get a wired board working with some SSRs
    1 - Renzilla Controller board - $8.00
    1 - RJ45 adapter board - $4.00
    1 - MiniRenSISO adapter - $3.00
    Total cost: $15 plus applicable shipping and PayPal fees

How to calculate PayPal fees:
    Multiply your purchase total by 2.9% and then add 30 cents.
    Example 1: for a $49 order, multiply $49 x .029 = 1.42, then add 30 cents for a total PayPal fee of $1.72
    Example 2: for a $15 order, multiply $15 x .029 = 44 cents, then add 30 cents for a total PayPal fee of $.74

Shipping/Handling: When the group buy has ended on May 1st, I'll calculate the total PayPal and shipping fees and send you an PayPal invoice for them. The board orders will also be collated and ordered on May 1st. Production time should take between 10-12 days. When the boards have been received at DIGWDF, we'll ship them to those who have paid their PayPal/Shipping invoices. NOTE: We reserve the right to cancel the entire group buy if there are not enough participants to make the stated "guesstimate" pricing feasible. If it is cancelled, all monies paid will be refunded in full to the participants.

HOW TO ORDER
    The DIGWDF store is where you can place your orders, and an all-new "Renzilla Group Buy" department has been set up to accommodate this program. There are also photos or screen shots of the various boards. We felt that using the store would be most convenient for everyone and neither TWireless or I have to track adds/deletes through personal messages or postings in this thread. It's also a place where you can take care of payment at the same time. Here's the link to the info page on the group buy in the store:

http://diychristmas.org/store/produc...id_product=143
    the DIGWDF Store... the place to go to find stuff you didn't know existed... or that anybody would even bother to make, for that matter. www.digwdf.com/store

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: RENZILLA GROUP BUY IS OPEN

This is a great way to add a Mega Tree to your display, or even a second one. Just think, all those channels in one place.

Sure makes setup a lot easier. I can just see it now. Only one power cord to my Mega Tree and I'm done.

AWESOME.

Maybe I need to add a couple more Mega Trees to the neighborhood. Sure would make things easy.

Thanks Dave for filling my head with all these new ideas. And I thought I was going to take a break from re-designing my display this year.

Not a chance.

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day.

Right now, my megatree takes 3 16 channel controllers (CTB16PC) from wowlights (company I purchase all of my controllers through. I would like to look to take that down to 1 controller and also leave me room for another 32 channels. Is this item something that I could use to make that happen.

James Van Horn

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by James van Horn View Post
    Good Day.

Right now, my megatree takes 3 16 channel controllers (CTB16PC) from wowlights (company I purchase all of my controllers through. I would like to look to take that down to 1 controller and also leave me room for another 32 channels. Is this item something that I could use to make that happen.

James Van Horn
    James

Yes it is. You have a lot of options with this controller.

First your input type, you can go with RS232 or RS485, Or you can even go wireless. Its all up to the options you want.

Second is the type of out put you want. If you already have your SSR's you can tie into the controller directly using ribbon cable, or the RJ45 option.
    If you do not have any SSR's because they are currently built into your 16 channel boards, you still have several options. One is the Dircheap SSR's and the other is the new SCISSR which is a single inline Solid State Relay. The SCISSR is put directly inline with your light string and then a ribbon cable connects directly to the Renzilla controller board.

The Renzilla is designed with all of these options to enable the user to customize or taylor it to there needs.
    Will this work with your Mega Tree. Yes, and you would have an additional 48 channel available to do what ever you would like.

One thing to remember. This is a DIY type board. You have to assemble it yourself, but it is very easy to do and only takes about an hour.
    If you would like more information on this, Check out this thread.
    RENZILLA GROUP BUY IS OPEN

or this one.
    Announcing.... RENZILLA!!!!!!

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Always here to help.

Generally clueless... dirknerkle's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those of you who may be on the fence about Renzilla, here are a couple photos of the board with RJ45 adapters plugged in -- one view with the wireless XBee module, another view with the MiniRenSISO adapter that gives you fully wired RS-232 or RS-485 capability from your computer.

And for fun, we've included the 20-page assembly and user guide, too so you can see the level of care we try to put into our offerings.

If you're on the fence about adding Renzilla to your show, consider that the special pricing offer expires in only 3 days...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -renzilla_siso.jpg   -renzilla_xbee.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    the DIGWDF Store... the place to go to find stuff you didn't know existed... or that anybody would even bother to make, for that matter. www.digwdf.com/store

Generally clueless... dirknerkle's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Since I posted this, we've added some adapters to Renzilla that make it kind of interesting... One is the PX-1 adapter. This allows using smart pixels on the controller. Another is the Servo adapter, which gives you 8 channels for 8 servos if you're doing animatronics. Another new one is the LSD adapter, which gives you up to 800ma/channel DC output for driving LEDs, or strobes, or what-have-you.

The bottom line is that off the same controller board you can run A/C SSRs, DC SSRs, strobes, animatronics and smart pixels all at the same time -- and all wirelessly if you like! You can't find another controller on the planet that can do that!