Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Full Wave Rectifier and LED String Shortener GROUP BUY

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Denny -

I see you got an order in (post #14 , Full Wave Converter and Super String Shortener 2014 GB No 2 - Page 2

Is that for the people on this forum thread? I'm hoping so; the group buy is now sold out there. It went really fast like the first one did. I was doing yard work over th weekend instead of monitoring for that.
    Yup, I have you covered. He also shipped some early, so ours are already on their way. I just need to get going on placing Diode and heatshrink orders now.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes Jack Stevens liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I received the FWC and SSS. But have not yet ordered the diodes and heatshrink. I will work on that in a couple days. Attached is the cost so far.

@Jack Stevens, I had ordered you only one SSS. But there are 54 of them on one board. If you really want more, Mike says he only needs to shorten 8 strings. I could split his SSS in half if you want. Let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fwc-sss-group-buy-4-17-2014.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I received the FWC and SSS. But have not yet ordered the diodes and heatshrink. I will work on that in a couple days. Attached is the cost so far.

@Jack Stevens, I had ordered you only one SSS. But there are 54 of them on one board. If you really want more, Mike says he only needs to shorten 8 strings. I could split his SSS in half if you want. Let me know.
    If he wants to split, fine. I'm willing to take any he doesn't want. I'm not really anticipating shortening even 54 strings, though, at least not at this time. The idea just hit me as so logical, though, that I just haven't come up with all the uses yet......OK, maybe 20 candy canes or so, to replace the 20 incandescent lights inside them that seem to constantly inconveniently burn out with no "one burns out, the rest stays on" bypass........

Very interested in the heat shrink.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    If he wants to split, fine. I'm willing to take any he doesn't want. I'm not really anticipating shortening even 54 strings, though, at least not at this time. The idea just hit me as so logical, though, that I just haven't come up with all the uses yet......OK, maybe 20 candy canes or so, to replace the 20 incandescent lights inside them that seem to constantly inconveniently burn out with no "one burns out, the rest stays on" bypass........

Very interested in the heat shrink.
    I am glad you mentioned candy canes. That is a great idea for the LED string shortener boards ! I also want the bulbs closer together to get more of them into the candy cane .. Some small tie-wraps should work ..

Mike @mpurser, do you want share half of your SSS board with Jack? That would be 27 shorteners.

I will get the diodes ordered asap. I may post back here, depending on what I find for the heatshrink. The 3:1 is more expensive but would be a lot more reliable, unless everyone wants to make sure they use silicone along with the heatshrink.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

that will be fine with me
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mike -

You don't need to split the board with me, but if you are willing, I'd be happy to do it. I don't want you shortchagned there.

Denny -

After paying the local location of Mike's employer about $15 for a 10-ack of 6" pieces of heat shrink, I'd be happy to pay a bit more for the 3:1 heat shrink. I'm not complaining about them - it's great to be able to go just 2 miles up the street and be fairly certain it will be in stock, and it's decent quality, but compared to their prices, what you're stating is relatively cheap. If I go the other direction, I can pay R/S twice as much for half that amount, and only on a very restricted hour basis (franchise, not open Sundays or even up to the local sidewalk rol-up time)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Decisions Decisions - - let me know your decisions...

I ordered the diodes at slightly less than 1 cent each ! They come in batches of 1000, so each board (54 FWC or SSS) will get 250 diodes (for $2.40).

I have been looking for heatshrink for a deal and found a few things. The 3:1 is ungodly expensive if you get it with adhesive (which is awesome) and I found some 3:1 shrink with out adhesive for a great deal .. but it is YELLOW. Here are all the choices starting with how much total I have buy (with shipping) along with how much per board (54 FWC or SSS) it would cost.

GREEN 2:1 no Adhesive
    $62 with shipping, $4.14 allocated each FWC (2:1 shrink)
    $31 with Shipping, $6.20 allocated each SSS (2:1 shrink)

BLACK 2:1 no Adhesive
    $36 with shipping, $2.40 allocated each FWC (2:1 shrink)
    $18 with Shipping, $3.60 allocated each SSS (2:1 shrink)

Yellow 3:1 no Adhesive
    $33 with shipping, $2.75 allocated each FWC (3:1 shrink)
    $11 with Shipping, $2.20 allocated each SSS (3:1 shrink)

ANY COLOR 3:1 with Adhesive
    $240 with shipping, $16.00 allocated each FWC (3:1 shrink)
    $120 with Shipping, $24.00 allocated each SSS (3:1 shrink)

Black 2:1 is the cheapest but 2:1 would need to also be sealed on the ends with silicone at the same time you are shrinking it.. Yellow 3:1 is a great price but still does not have the adhesive. 3:1 is much better tho. The price for a really nice 3:1 heatshrink is high .. but that is for 54 of them. Of course you have to multiply that times the number of boards you are buying. Let me know what you want to do guys. I would probably go with the yellow 3:1 and still use a tiny dab of silicone on the end of each one as I heat it (shrink it). But I will go with the majority. 3:1 with glue inside is awesome stuff too. We can pick our own colors for that, because 10" rolls is the largest I could find in 3/8" (with adhesive) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

okwith me not having bought this stuff befor in bulk what sizes are we looking at and i guess the 3.1 and the 2.1 is the srink ratio?
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    okwith me not having bought this stuff befor in bulk what sizes are we looking at and i guess the 3.1 and the 2.1 is the shrink ratio?
    Yes .. I should have explained that in the text. 3:1 is much better for sealing up the rectifier and not letting any moisture inside. I need to know what you guys want me to get. What are your votes ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

one roll of 3.1 green i guess what ever size it takes to fit over the sss i guess and if jack wants to split a board of the sss all i need is 10 but ill take half if he thinks thats ok.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

one roll of 3.1 green i guess what ever size it takes to fit over the sss i guess and if jack wants to split a board of the sss all i need is 10 but ill take half if he thinks thats ok.
    OK You want to go with thigh priced stuff with adhesive. Here's an examples of what it will cost each of us if we go with the Green 3:1

The second alternative is Black 2:1 with no Adhesive.

The thirs (much lower cost) alternative is the Yellow 3:1 (deal) with no Adhesive. You'll see that one is a lot less considering 3:1.

I added the 3rd alternative which is Black 2:1 with no Adhesive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -group-buy-green-3-1-example.jpg   -group-buy-black-2-1-example.jpg   -group-buy-yellow-3-1-example.jpg  
    Last edited by kidcole; 04-18-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I had to edit this a bunch of time because the order of the files kept changing
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yes Denny im good with the first group price of 37.96 plus shipping and tax

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wouldn't mind getting heat shrink for my boards I ordered on the DIYC group buy, and for other projects of mine. My number one choice would be the 2:1 black. Is there a minimum quantity? I could literally use meters of this stuff (pixels).
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yes Denny im good with the first group price of 37.96 plus shipping and tax
    Yes, but that's $240 for me ! I can still try to keep yours at this stuff and a partial for me. Unless we go with the Yellow 3:1. For the yellow I can't mix it up since it comes in very large spools.

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting heat shrink for my boards I ordered on the DIYC group buy, and for other projects of mine. My number one choice would be the 2:1 black. Is there a minimum quantity? I could literally use meters of this stuff (pixels).
    I can buy extra. I calculated that each FWC (54 rectifiers) needs about 12' and each SSS (54 shortened LED strings) needs 16' .. I've been using that for the pricing that I posted yesterday. The sellers with the best prices seem to jump around because a couple months ago I found some green for the lowest price. Let me know how many feet you want and I'll put it in my spreadsheet since we get best prices buying larger quantities.

EVERYONE

I though everyone would jump at the Yellow 3:1 deal but it does not look that way. Frankly I don't think the yellow would show up badly. But I'll go with whatever the group wants. I can also split colors as long as I don't get stuck with a huge portion of a roll that I don't need. So far I have:

Mike - - - Green 3:1 Expensive but Denny might get some of this and some of the cheaper. Having the glue is certainly a big plus !
    Sam - - - Black 2:1 (need length)
    Denny - - - Yellow 3:1 But will go with majority. Green or black 2:1 is second choice.
    Tom - - - ???
    Jack - - - 3:1 but need to know if you want the "Yellow 3:1 no glue" (great price) or the Green 3:1 with glue (expensive). Prices attached

We need to hear from Tom @tsavage and also more details from @Jack Stevens

Here is the FULL PLAN and Purchase information. I had a couple math errors with my previous cost charts, so I created the full spreadsheet to do all the calculations. I'll add Sam Johnson once I get a length of heatshrink from him. 12' increments for FWC and 16' increments for SSS...

DANG this site shrunk the picture so bad you cannot read it !!! If you see this message, I am in the middle of creating a PDF and I will attach that soon. I have to load some software. My laptop OS was reloaded a couple days ago, and I have ZILCH for software right now.

I JUST FOUND SOME MUCH BETTER DEALS ON 3:1 with Adhesive .. HOLD On .. Updates coming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fwc-sss-group-buy-4-19-2014.jpg  
    Last edited by kidcole; 04-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ok Denny the color does not make a difference to me the last jpeg was to small for me to read im still in tho