Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2014 Group Buys and Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I would also recommend for anyone not using native LOR to look into the E1.31 to DMX bridge kit. You can run 6 universes of Renard OR DMX512 off of it.
    Sam, I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm wondering why anybody would want 6 universes of Ren (or LOR) or DMX 512? With one universe you can control 32 16-channel AC controllers or 170 dumb RGB devices. I know some folks might need more capacity than that, but how many need that much capacity in one spot? For me a single 6804 will handle all the LOR boxes and dumb DMX I'll ever need, plus it has three more ports for pixels at about the price of the bridge. Basically I view that DMX port on the 6804 as a $25 single-universe e1.31 -> DMX512 bridge. Not trying to be critical, just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Shannon View Post
    Sam, I'm sure I'm missing something but I'm wondering why anybody would want 6 universes of Ren (or LOR) or DMX 512? With one universe you can control 32 16-channel AC controllers or 170 dumb RGB devices. I know some folks might need more capacity than that, but how many need that much capacity in one spot? For me a single 6804 will handle all the LOR boxes and dumb DMX I'll ever need, plus it has three more ports for pixels at about the price of the bridge. Basically I view that DMX port on the 6804 as a $25 single-universe e1.31 -> DMX512 bridge. Not trying to be critical, just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.
    I have one of those bridges and love it. Sure, I guess I could have pulled the renard feed from my E682, but it would be a cabling nightmare. I have port 1 of the bridge going to the front treebed and controlling 80 channels. Port 2 goes to The house and right side treebed with 212 channels. Port 3 then is focused on the Megatree with 72 channels.

Port 4 would have gone to my neighbors house if he had decided to do it this year. Ports 5 and 6 are setup for DMX when I add in items such as a fogger for next year. It helps cut down on cabling as you can change the topology of the RS-485 network. It also reduces total failure because you have the networks segmented from the bridge. It helps out a lot in isolating any serial data issues that you would have. The problem is you have a single point of failure as your bridge.

Is it for everyone? No. But there will be some interested in it. It's great if you are just getting started and don't currently have any USB dongle at all. For those that run multiple dongles and have had COM port errors, this would fix that.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Shanta, you almost answer your own question...."170 dumb RGB devices" - replace that with 170 smart RGB devices, or read that as pixels. Say you have a 1/2 megatree - all the pixels pointing towards the front of your display, so you don't have the back side populated.....so 12 strings, 85 pixels per string. At 170 pixels per universe, that single prop would consume 6 universes. Too rich for my budget and beyond my meager sequencing skills (gotta learn Nutcracker!) but it gives you the ability to display words andplay Space Invaders on your megatree, as someone on here did in the 2012 season on a bunch of CCRs.

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Samj435, that makes some sense to me, if your topology makes it practical. Thanks for taking the time to respond. And I certainly agree that such a bridge is vastly preferable to having a half-dozen DMX dongles!
    @Jack Stevens, your reasoning makes no sense to me at all. Why would someone go e1.31 to the yard, use a bridge ($125) to break out to 6 dmx512 universes, and then use 6 DMX pixel controllers ($35 ea for the TinyPix, which is the cheapest I know of) to drive pixels? A single 6804 can drive twice the number of pixels for less than the cost of the bridge alone. There are certain things that dmx512 is handy for, but in general I don't think pixels is one of them, unless you have a very particular need. So take your megatree example, 12 strings of 85 pixels (1020 total) requires 6 full universes, using DMX512 your controller cost is $335. The 6804 is only $100 and that tree would eat only half of its capacity, so you could add a 500 pixel star and dedicate a port to DMX512 to run a bunch of LOR boxes and DMX floods, and still have money left to buy a spare 6804 for backup. It just seems that the utility of 512 is winding down and e1.31 is the direction to point new users wanting to get into rgb. As always, I accept the possibility that I'm missing something.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Samj435, that makes some sense to me, if your topology makes it practical. Thanks for taking the time to respond. And I certainly agree that such a bridge is vastly preferable to having a half-dozen DMX dongles!
    @Jack Stevens, your reasoning makes no sense to me at all. Why would someone go e1.31 to the yard, use a bridge ($125) to break out to 6 dmx512 universes, and then use 6 DMX pixel controllers ($35 ea for the TinyPix, which is the cheapest I know of) to drive pixels? A single 6804 can drive twice the number of pixels for less than the cost of the bridge alone. There are certain things that dmx512 is handy for, but in general I don't think pixels is one of them, unless you have a very particular need. So take your megatree example, 12 strings of 85 pixels (1020 total) requires 6 full universes, using DMX512 your controller cost is $335. The 6804 is only $100 and that tree would eat only half of its capacity, so you could add a 500 pixel star and dedicate a port to DMX512 to run a bunch of LOR boxes and DMX floods, and still have money left to buy a spare 6804 for backup. It just seems that the utility of 512 is winding down and e1.31 is the direction to point new users wanting to get into rgb. As always, I accept the possibility that I'm missing something.
    Shanta,

OK, misunderstanding here, probably on my part in interpreting your original question. I think of DMX as a protocol/channel count, not the RS485 differential transport. I was thinking of putting the e68x board out at the tree running the pixels directly, but looking at the sequencing screen as them being DMX 512 channels. Running e1.31, you never have to go to the RS485 level I think you're calling DMX.

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I guess where I make the distinction is that DMX512 (or open DMX or basic DMX) is a single universe worth of control, while e1.31 carries multiple universes of control. Things get more complicated when you start discussing wire options and connector options and transports.

But the basic point I'm trying to make is it costs money to switch from one type of signal to another (e1.31<->DMX512<->SPI) and so unless there is a compelling reason to do so (i.e. LOR boxes don't speak e1.31) I'd do it as inoften as possible. In my case, one universe is plenty to handle my LOR boxes, as many floods as I can imagine using, and still have a ton of room for dumb elements galore, so I'm not sure why I'd want 6 universes (unless my physical layout demanded it).

Again, I'm not trying to talk anybody out of buying the bridges, just trying to understand other's reasoning.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

well if anyone is wondering i talked to ray last night he said hes sending parts to fix the flood problim we ll see im hoping
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

question about the strips here on DIY
    RGB Waterproof Flexible Strips 30LEDs/m ip68 - PRE-SALE 2014 [RGBFLEX30IP68] - $25.00 : DIYLEDExpress.com

is it safe to assume that since it says can be cut every 3 leds these are the ones that are controlled by 10 chips per meter? any way of finding out what shipping will be. at $25 per roll thats not a bad price unless shipping is going to be high.

comparing it to
    Waterproof IP68,DC12V input,WS2811 30leds/m LED strips,digital with 10pcs WS2811 built in the 5050 rgb led chip;White PCB-in LED Strips from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com
    which is cheaper then Rays price which i havent asked him if he will match it yet or not and the shipping isnt to high per roll.

whats everyone thoughts?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i have received a dhl tracking number from ray woo hoo
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    question about the strips here on DIY
    RGB Waterproof Flexible Strips 30LEDs/m ip68 - PRE-SALE 2014 [RGBFLEX30IP68] - $25.00 : DIYLEDExpress.com

is it safe to assume that since it says can be cut every 3 leds these are the ones that are controlled by 10 chips per meter? any way of finding out what shipping will be. at $25 per roll thats not a bad price unless shipping is going to be high.
    No, those are dumb strips. There is no 10 channels per meter because there are no pixel chips on these. Yes they can be cut every 3 LEDs, but because they are IP68 they should have the silicon rectangular tube over them .. just like LOR CCRs .. but it's a pain to cut IP68 and then seal the tubes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    comparing it to
    Waterproof IP68,DC12V input,WS2811 30leds/m LED strips,digital with 10pcs WS2811 built in the 5050 rgb led chip;White PCB-in LED Strips from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com
    which is cheaper then Rays price which i haven't asked him if he will match it yet or not and the shipping isnt to high per roll.

whats everyone thoughts?
    Ray's prices for pixels will always be cheaper but not very much cheaper .. and of course support is more difficult with Ray. It's just nice to see DIYLEDExpress competing by getting some large volume deals and passing them along to everyone. And I think the Pixabulbs are unique. They each have two 5050s inside I've not seen them anywhere else ..

Here are the equivalent ones from the presale:

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=223
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

guess the clue was it didnt say 2811. how could of i missed that????

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

well he may have some problems but i will say this when ray wu gets on the case hes quick i got the tracking number yesterday parcel left hong Cong yesterday at 4 .30 its now in Ohio i got delivery notice for tomorrow im impressed hope it not premature.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I know there was some talk about this, I think on the TASL tour that we had... What were the other two LED string suppliers that had strings from the same plant as CDI? I'm looking into getting a few cases of full wave rectified LED's, but I just can't justify the CDI price.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I know there was some talk about this, I think on the TASL tour that we had... What were the other two LED string suppliers that had strings from the same plant as CDI? I'm looking into getting a few cases of full wave rectified LED's, but I just can't justify the CDI price.
    I tried looking on DIYC but can't find it now. There's just too much there !

But I did notice that Radiant Holidays has their Presale going. It ends on the last day of January. Anyone needing SPT2 Vampire plugs and wire .. and some might even want SPT1 .. This is where most of us have been buying our parts...

Radiant Holidays
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control