Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Blow molds help

New to this site and would like to know how everyone else keeps their blow molds upright. Thank you

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Blow molds help

i use 1/2 inch pipe driven into the ground then i put a 4 pound lead brick inside it it faces where i want and stays upright the blow mole is placed over the pipe all the ones came with a 3 inch hole in the bottom (the lead is left over from my racing days.We used the lead bricks for balast so the car had the legal mim. weight and max left side weight.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    New to this site and would like to know how everyone else keeps their blow molds upright. Thank you
    My display uses a lot of blowmolds. Well over 40 this year and will be over 60 next year. I use 1/2" PCV frames inside the blow molds, with simple 3/8" rebar driven into the ground. You just drop the PVC frame over the rebar and it stays perfectly. My "Flying Bears" are about 30" off the ground. I do it by adding a second frame under the blowmold and using a longer rebar. The other advantage of using the PVC frames is it lets you wind LEDs around the frame inside the blowmold without creating any shadow. If you use bright white (cool white) LEDs, it really makes the blowmolds "pop" with color and if you use Full Wave Rectified, then the dimming is really smooth ..

You'll notice in my pictures that the top bulb points up. This also helps make sure there is no shadow from the PVC pipe inside. You'll also see where I use a tiewrap in the middle of the tube to act as a strain relief for the power cord, which then goes out the back hole of the blowmolds. I used retail LED strings and added rectifiers inside. The strain relief tiewrap also makes sure there is no pressure on the rectifiers when the cords are accidentally pulled from the outside.

To mount the frames to the blowmolds, I use 1/8" by 2" toggle bolts. Size the PVC base to fit just a little bigger that the blowmold bottom. Be sure to use PVC End Caps as feet on the frames. TO mount the frame, hold the blowmold upside down. Slide the frame (with the LEDs installed) inside the blowmold and drill holes for the toggle bolts. Use the next drill size above 1/8". Drill down through the PVC tube and into the blowmold, to locate the holes. Then remove the frame and use a 1/2" forstner bit to make the holes larger on the blowmold. This will let the toggle bolt to slip inside. I use 1/2" Fender Washers on the inside of the blowmold to back up the toggle nuts. I don't want the toggle nuts to tear through the plastic on the blowmold. The fender washers provide a nice backup to keep that from happening.

For most blowmolds I use 24" or 30" rebar driven about 12" into the ground. One of the pictures shows the frames that let me lift the blowmolds off the ground to get a "chorus" effect with multiple matching blowmolds. You'll also see one where I wound Dumb RGBs, but I have since stopped doing it that way. YOu can see another post here where I discussed the problems with the strips going bad. I now just wind 12mm RGB (dumb) strings around the pipe. 50 to 60 RGBs will do a good job, but make sure you only do this for all white blowmolds. The RGBs look pretty ugly behind red or green blowmolds. They look great inside my snowmen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imag0228.jpg   -blowmold-frames-leds.jpg   -bottom-blowmold-frame-half-inch-hole.jpg   -imag0223.jpg   -blowmold-bases-lift-off-ground.jpg  

-img_1099_small.jpg   -img_1102_small.jpg   -img_1138_small.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a try. It's on my "To Do" list. Do you put lights around your windows? If so do you have them mounted to a frame that you can put up and take off each year?

Thanks
    Jack

Carl B Zachary

That's what we do.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a try. It's on my "To Do" list. Do you put lights around your windows? If so do you have them mounted to a frame that you can put up and take off each year?

Thanks
    Jack

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks
    Jack
    I see Carl already answered .. but I'll throw a little more detail.

Some have used 1/2" PVC and wrapped mini bulbs around it. You get about 14 to 16" per 100 bulbs. the downside is mounting them, and the loss of the light that is behind the PVC.

I use 1x2 lumber and paint it the same color as the window frames. You can get simple brackets at lowes that let you screw the frames together quickly. I use stainless staples to hold the lights onto the framing. I have wood framing around my windows, so I use a few screws through the frames to hold them in place around windows and garage doors. We fill the holes with caulk as we take them down each year. The next year you use the same holes.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control