Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Splicing of audio files

Here is a subject that I know very little about. It is splicing of audio files. I have a few songs that I like a portion of each song and would like to marry that portion to another portion from other songs with similar beats. When I was in high school a friend made a record (yes it was a 45 rpm) and it was a compilation of several songs spliced together with some kind of overlay beat connecting them. It was good but not quite what I am looking to do. I have tried several times to get Audacity to splice songs together with limited success. As a matter of fact, the splices had a pop where the pieces joined. What I would like to know is:

1) Can Audacity do this?
    2) Is there a better, simpler way? I like better and simpler.
    3) Is there a software package that can do this and how much should I expect to spend?
    4) Can I do this with hardware and save me some hassle?
    5) If I can't do it myself, is there a person that I can hire to do it?

I know Kevin (The Demented Elf) will know how to do this because it is part of how he makes his living. Maybe, we can all learn. Anything audio is black magic to me.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Splicing of audio files

Hey Al, I use Accustica and have join files together and came out pretty good. Plus it is very easy to use.
    Not a freebie but they have a trail version. Give it a try

Kevin can provide better info on this.

Don.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry here is the link

http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-audio-mixer/

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al,
    Last year I spliced all 8 of my songs together to make one long 25 minute sound track using Audacity. As long as I spliced the audio at the beginning or end of a song it worked well. Where i ran into problems was trying to keep the output sound level consistant so the listener wouldn't have to keep adjusting the volume level on their radio. Any user friendly software that would smooth this out automatically for all songs would be a plus to me. Audacity does have the ability to do this, but it has to be done manualy and individually for each song making it very hard to achieve consistant audio peaks. I fear I'm going to have to fork out big bucks for this fix. I know there is hardware out there to do this, but I'm not impressed with it. Anyone have an Idea to help me?
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Vic,

I use a free program called MP3Gain to equalize the volume of my music. A google search should find it.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Don, I'll give it a try.

Vic, Mp3gain has a batch function that works pretty good. You can do a collection of songs at once. I used it last year. It is not a miracle solution but is pretty good.

The Voice Of Christmas thedementedelf's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Here is a subject that I know very little about. It is splicing of audio files. I have a few songs that I like a portion of each song and would like to marry that portion to another portion from other songs with similar beats. When I was in high school a friend made a record (yes it was a 45 rpm) and it was a compilation of several songs spliced together with some kind of overlay beat connecting them. It was good but not quite what I am looking to do. I have tried several times to get Audacity to splice songs together with limited success. As a matter of fact, the splices had a pop where the pieces joined. What I would like to know is:

1) Can Audacity do this?
    2) Is there a better, simpler way? I like better and simpler.
    3) Is there a software package that can do this and how much should I expect to spend?
    4) Can I do this with hardware and save me some hassle?
    5) If I can't do it myself, is there a person that I can hire to do it?

I know Kevin (The Demented Elf) will know how to do this because it is part of how he makes his living. Maybe, we can all learn. Anything audio is black magic to me.
    Al

Thanks for th challange Al:

First there is no hard and fast rule on how to edit except it must sound good. It took me awhile to get used to electronic editing. I'm old school, give me a grease pencil, razor blade and splicing tape. There are a few tricks to it. Probably the easiest editing is to the beat. Audacity can beat detect to a certain point.(meaning they are still perfecting it) You highlight the portion of the file you want to do. Click on analyze in the tool bar then on beat detect. This will find the beats. But it dosen't asure a good clean splice and match, because it dosen't take in the possibility of a vocal being there.

Another way to work is using the zoom feature. This will let you enlarge the file so you can actually see breaks in the wave that you wouldn't see in normal view. This will allow to you see for lack of a better word gaps that can make good edit points.

Editing is some aspects is alot like sequencing a song. You should know the song pretty well so you know what it looks like in the edit window. This can help you see where to edit too, instead of listening.

Al, you mentioend a popping noise at your edit points. This sounds like the two parts are not meeting up the way they should. When I edit I always use multitracks. Edit File A and save, Edit File B and save. Now in Track 1 place File A on Track 2 File B. Now at the end of the wave for File A place the cursor and click so you have the line there. Then slide File B over to that line. Put the Marker back at the start of File A and record to a thirs track and you should have your mix.

1 Can Audacity do this...Yes

2 Better Simpler way? Not really all electronic editing is pretty much the same.

3 Software Package. I use Adobe Audition it has a bunch of great features and to me a bit more intuitive then Audacity. Audition is anywhere from 150-350

4 Hardware- See my old school remarks about splicing. Would also need a good reel to reel machine.

5. Can you hire someone. probably

I know this is kind of a long response and don't know if it helped or muddied the waters even more.
    Demented? yes but in the best possible sense.

thedementedelf@charter.net
    www.thedementedelf.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Kevin. I knew you would know. Kevin does this type of thing. Did yall know that Kevin was a DJ some time back? His voice sounds like it.

Thank you gentlemen. I will try the software packages (all three) and see if I am smart enough to figure it out.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al and Kevin,

Back in the early 70's I worked as a studio engineer for a radio station. We were almost completely automated, so I had plenty of free time. I was dating a girl that had a perfect pitch ear, and we would splice the 2 channel stereo reel to reel tape to make our own compliations. Rather then on beats, we spliced on pitch of the notes (her ear) and I did the (thanks for the memories Kevin) grease pencil, razor blade and splicing tape thing. I still have some of this stuff on 10" tape reels, but nothing to play it on anymore ( We used Ampex 440 machines back then).

I think Al, that something like this is what you are wanting to accomplish. (This is one of my all time favorite groups, from Germany, a mix of 6 of their biggest hits at this time)

Of course this was a studio mix, and I suspect the producer had their band ("The Black Beautiful Circus') record a new arrangement just for this video mix. Anything was possible with this studio, for example, of the four singers on stage, only two actually sang on their recordings. One of the female and the male voice were recorded by the same person, their producer Frank Farrian did both of those.

Jump ahead 25 years, same lead singer, same group name but with three replacements and another mix starting around 2:30 sec in of four or so of the orginal groups hits, and backup audio track by the same band (from 25 years earlier) that was recorded and used on another mix of the orginal group.

So this is one way some of the mixes are made, with a common beat track, by the same band. It could be tricky, and I wouldn't want to even attempt it using different groups.

Sorry for the long ramble, I was bored tonight.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John, there is no overlay beat to link the songs?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I use Magix product. like an old verions of this http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/classic/ and this http://www.magix.com/us/audio-cleaning-lab/
    Cleaning lab is good for splicing and cleaning up audio. Music maker allows for multiple tracks which is what I think you're looking for.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It seems there are a zillion packages for audio only. I use a software called nTrack Studio. http://ntrack.com/ Ntrack Studio has every imaginable feature in the universe of audio, and it lets you add, miix and merge an unlimited number of tracks - - ultimately mixed to form the results you want. Seems just like having the hardware in front of you - - once you figure out where they hid all the software commands. I used to have a recording studio back in Ohio, in the 1970s (Tascam 4-track based). Hey - 4 tracks was a lot back then !

I have been slowly trying to learn Adobe Premier so I can get my first You Tube videos of my Christmas Songs. I would assume Premier can also mix audio <only> but I have not tried it. Mel is my Adobe Guru !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control