Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Transmitter Selection Assistance Needed

We are in need of assistance from our CC friends as we are trying to purchase a quality FM transmitter without spending a ton of money. I have done a lot of research on the Ramsey 30B and it looks good, but lowest price I can find is $199. Also reading a lot about antennas and antenna cables so now I am really confused as to what I need to buy and use.

I purchased the FM transmitter from the LOR website -- Gold Edition Whole House -- and it doesn't even reach my driveway.

Can someone please tell me what would be our best bet and what all I need to purchase in order to have this operational by the end of next week?? Please help -- you have always steered me in the right direction!!

Thanks,
    Lisa

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Transmitter Selection Assistance Needed

I also have the Gold Edition Whole House transmitter, and yeah, it's a bit on the weak side. Antenna placement is critical. I managed to get mine to work about 300 feet, but it's not great. I've been thinking of opening it up, removing the antenna, putting a piece of coax there, and doing a dipole outside, but I have no idea of coax impedance.

So, I'm not much help. Sorry.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

One thing that helped me was to cut about 7 1/2" off of the length of my antenna. I recently learned that each FM frequency on the radio dial requires it's own special length of antenna. There is a link to a chart on PC somewhere that helps you determine your antenna length.
    Search "antenna length chart". I was surprised to see how precise you have to be when measuring and adjusting it's length. They break it down to 32nds of an inch. This is Key!

I'm confident, from my research, that most FM transmitters do a crappy job becuase of the antenna set up and not the transmitter.

One other thing is to elevate the antenna, I mounted mine to the roof line and that helped me get about 100 more feet in range. Try to keep your antenna wire (coax cable) under 20 feet too.

Kidcole (Denny) has a very nice setup and is more knowledgeable than me and he lives in Cary. Super nice guy too, I bet he could stop by and help you guys out with your current setup.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We've had a lot of discussion on this same topic recently. I would suggest that you pass up the fancy features of the Ramsey 30B and drop down to the Ramsey 25B. Same power, but no fancy display. With the savings you can get a good antenna. Dipole antennas are not as efficient as the quarter-wave and half-wave type. Al gave me a link to a site where I got a great quarter wave antenna, and I highly recommend that you get the adjustable version for the extra $10. When you adjust the length of the upper rod to the frequency you are transmitting, you get an even more efficient broadcast.

http://www.fmdxantenna.com/products.php?cat=7

I got about a quarter mile with the Ramsey 25B and the quarter wave antenna mounted on my porch. Then I move the antenna to about 10 feet high and now it's getting almost double that distance. Also if you go to a half-wave antenna (which is twice as big), you will increase the distance even more.

btw - it's also real important to get a good antenna. There are a bunch of antenna wire companies on the web who can help you with that. Or you can write me and I will dig up the company that I used.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've got the Ramsey 30 b and am very happy with it. With the telescoping antenna I got good coverage about halfway down the block. Then I bought the Antenna referenced above. WOW! Lots of covered area all around town. Did I say that? I mean all around the very localized neighborhood.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is an online antenna length calculator for both quarter and half wave antennas.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagen...eqlencalc.html
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs