Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Need Idea for Quick "Tune To" Sign

Well, I went over to Denny's (kidcole) this morning to check out his setup and WOW! His mega tree Rocks! This was the first setup i have ever seen since being new to the hobby. Great job Denny, can't wait for the show.

At any rate, I picked up a sweet FM transmitter from him and It works perfect. I need to get some kind of a "tune to" sign in the yard and I really don't want to spend alot of time or cash on it. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Need Idea for Quick "Tune To" Sign

You can buy plastic signage from sign shops. It is called Coroplast which is a brand name for corrugated plastic. It looks like cardboard but is actually plastic. If you go into a sign shop and sweet talk the folks they will fix you up. Tell them what you are making with it and they might make you a deal. It comes in a variety of colors. Then you could hand letter or put stick on letters from Lowes for the wording. A Magic Marker should be just fine for your first year. The sign shop can sell you a cheap steel wire sign holder too. If not Lowe's has them.

My first year I printed out on legal size paper the wording for my yard sign. Then I took it to Kinkos and laminated it for a couple bucks and taped it to a real estate sign which is plentiful at Casa Al. Here is a disclaimer, lamination isn't water proof but somewhat water resistant. If we have a wet December you may have to redo your sign. But it is cheap. Dirt cheap. Next year you can get a professionally made sign. I'll give you the name of the sign shop that I use and they will take care of you.

Or you could get some crayons and brown bags and make your own like the Tennessee folks do.

Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I never thought of that...I have one of those out in the shed. I can get reflective stick on vinyl letters from the sign shop at work. Problem solved and no money spent.

Thanks Al.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You have one of my real estate signs out in your shed? I wondered where they all went. When metal prices were high, I had people stealing my signs for the aluminum in them. One of my signs costs me about $100. The scumbags that stole them got about $2 for the metals. Geez Louise.
    Al
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 11-14-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I appreciate the complement Vic. For your FM sign, some sort of handpainted sign with a light on it might suffice. My sign was not expensive (about 12 buck in the lights), but it has 180 bulbs in it .. so it was time consuming to drill all the holes and stick the lights in. I also ended up using a hot glue gun on the bulbs (from the back) to line them up nicely. I did discover one nice thing about the light sets that are never supposed to go out, even when a bulb is removed. It worked out great to use those for my FM sign, because I removed about 10 bulbs from each of the two strings of lights. Much better that using black out caps .. I will post pics of the sign and others items, once I get them installed. We did get 300 feet of LED rope light installed this afternoon (with my candy cane PVC posts). My arms are tired from hack-sawing rebar all afternoon .. Looks like I will wait until next Saturday to install the lights and controllers on the mega-tree...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Or you could get some crayons and brown bags and make your own like the Tennessee folks do.

Al
    I didn't know you had seen my sign! Have to redo it after every rain though.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Not yet John. And with the rock slides it won't be this year either. The I-40 slide will keep the interstate shut down for months. That second rockslide wasn't too far from your casa if I heard correctly.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The second one on Hwy 64 is about 35 miles from me. It will have the road closed for about 4 5 weeks.

The day after the Hwy 64 slide, there was one on Lookout Mtn that closed a road, then the next day a rock slide closed a road on Signal Mtn here.

Just a lot of "Slipping and Sliding" going on!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs