Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM Transmitters with RDS

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I'm thinking of also upgrading to the transmitter that sends song info to the newer fm radios. Does this block that output? Or does it go straight through with no changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've thought about that too. Unfortunately Ramsey never made a version with RDS. But I believe EDM did. I am going to start a new topic for this discussion .. We have not updated ourselves on RDS in a long time.

For those of you who have been running RDS, which transmitters offer the feature and exactly how does it work? Do you need a computer connection to send the RDS text string for each new song ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM Transmitters with RDS

I can answer your question about using a USB mixer with Falcon Player and also using EDM RDS:
    For the EDM the RDS comes out of the EDM via a USB cable but isn't USB protocol. I think it is serial like the old 9 pin PC ports. Someone verify this. However the Falcon people have coded FPP plugins for both Vast and EDM.

What they recommend is coming out of the EDM port via USB and connecting the other end to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins. There is a whole discussion on falcon's website that explains this. Since the Pi's end is to the GPIO ports I see no reason you can't also use a USB mixer and RDS at the same time. The only conflict would be if you were using a Pi Cap or Hat. Since those plug into the pins on the Pi you may not be able to use RDS unless the WS281x pins used by FPP are different than the RDS pins used - I'll have to check that later.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FM Transmitters with RDS

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I can answer your question about using a USB mixer with Falcon Player and also using EDM RDS:
    For the EDM the RDS comes out of the EDM via a USB cable but isn't USB protocol. I think it is serial like the old 9 pin PC ports. Someone verify this. However the Falcon people have coded FPP plugins for both Vast and EDM.

What they recommend is coming out of the EDM port via USB and connecting the other end to the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins. There is a whole discussion on falcon's website that explains this. Since the Pi's end is to the GPIO ports I see no reason you can't also use a USB mixer and RDS at the same time. The only conflict would be if you were using a Pi Cap or Hat. Since those plug into the pins on the Pi you may not be able to use RDS unless the WS281x pins used by FPP are different than the RDS pins used - I'll have to check that later.
    Excellent info. It makes sense that they figured it out. You would be wanting to this for your Master Pi, since that's the only one with music. So if you are running Pi hats or accessories, just put them on another Pi .. This is good to know. The EDM is quite expensive. I'll have to look up the Vast with RDS to compare.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

would you realy want your visitors looking at thier dash or your display?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    would you realy want your visitors looking at thier dash or your display?
    Funny thought. Having the private scrolling is just cool. Makes the broadcasting look even more professional .. For me it's just fun because I've never done it ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Having the private scrolling is just cool. Makes the broadcasting look even more professional
    I'm interested in two things:
    - letting people know the song they are listening to in case they don't know it
    - "Advertising" for my facebook page, christmascarolina.com, and any other messages I want to display. "Don't block driveways. Turn off your lights." etc.

I *think* the RDS units will let you add items like this to the songs. If someone else knows (yes OR no), please add that info here. Thanks!!!

Other than that, it's the "cool" factor like Denny said...
    - Scott M.