Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Running a 302 Behringer mixer with Falcon Player

Earlier in another thread I mentioned I used the Behringer 502. Well it's actually the 302. i really don't know where we got off with the model number but we did. I have the 'listening or street speaker' plugged into the headphone jack so I can adjust it separately and the Main going into my transmitter. I know I mentioned a few times that I "could" go from the Pi to the mixer via USB and therefore digital but I never really tried it outside of initial testing. So far this year I was using the 1/8" jack on the Pi and going RCA plug into the Behringer.

Well today I wanted to test it more. My audio was low and I kept bumping up the mixer output but still couldn't get good strong clear audio like the real FM broadcasts. Plus when no song was playing I could hear a little white noise in the background. Well folks, I'm hear to tell you that all that has changed now. When I changed it to USB and therefore going digital from the Pi to the mixer my signal cleared up, all low level white noise went away, and the overall signal was strong enough that I had to back down the mixer as well as the bass on the input. I am amazed how well this sounds. If you are considering it I'd say it's definitely worth it. For the TASL meeting I'll give you guys a demo and you won't believe the difference.

As far as the mixer you could use the 302 or the 502 but I kinda think the 502 is a little more than is needed plus it is $20 more and there is no USB port so I don't see how you can go digital from the Pi to the mixer. The 302 uses USB for both power and data - it can be powered from your pc's usb port. It won't however run from the low power levels of a Pi so you have to use a powered hub. Any powered hub will do but I bought the Plugable 2.0 4 port powered hub on Amazon because I've used their products before and they are good quality - $16.95. I like their stuff but the power cord that comes with it is a little 'stiff' - nothing wrong with it, just odd. The Behringer 302USB is $42 on Amazon right now. Throw in a powered hub and you're probably around $60? But the difference is really amazing I have to say. I really wish I had done this at the start of the season.

Setup is:
    Ras Pi 3 USB ----> Plugable USB powered hub's PC port (not the regular big USB ports, the small one).
    1 of the 4 Plugable USB ports ----> Behringer 302. This powers the 302 and the data flows back to the Pi through the hub's smaller pc port.
    Red Line/USB button on the Behringer DOWN telling it that it should expect the Line data to come from the USB ports, not the RCA jacks.
    RCA Main Mix Out plugs ----> Transmitter.
    Main Mix knob on the 302 set to 12 o'clock for volume and the Line In volume set a little lower at 11 o'clock.
    Bass slider down one notch on the Line/USB channel. This was a preference thing, to me it sounded like it was overdriving the bass a little.

That's it. Then power everything up, go into Falcon Player > Status > FPP Settings and change the drop down for Audio Output to the USB Device. It will tell you to restart FPPD so just click on the button to do it. I can try to add a picture of the whole thing tomorrow - the area it is in right now is a little dark with the sun setting and I don't want to pull it all apart right before show time. I know the above sounds a little confusing but it really isn't and I'd be glad to help anyone who needs it.
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post
    Likes rcktpwrd, scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Running a 302 Behringer mixer with Falcon Player

Here's a picture. I tried to make the cables as simple as possible so you can see the layout. I'll be mounting this all to a small board to make it easier.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's a great little mixer with the USB on it. But the stinker does not have a "tape out" function. Tape out come from the input channels but independent of the main out. This lets you have a fixed FM radio signal but also be able to turn the master volume up and down to change the outside speakers (without changing the FM). I looked around the Behringer models and you have to go all the way to the 802 to get tape out (they call it control room, but it's the same thing).
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Running a 302 Behringer mixer with Falcon Player

Why not just use the headphone out for street level / monitor out? That's what I do. That keeps the main separate. I disconnected it for the picture for simplicity sake. The jack and knob for the phones are far right on the mixer.

I get what you are saying with tape out it won't change the monitor volume with main and line changes but I don't see the need. Once you got your line and main set you hopefully won't be changing them. I have another Behringer 12 channel mixer with tape / monitor out but it's so overkill. You could also use the effect out or effect loop I suppose. But for what I have to do this is really perfect. I can jack around with the headphone out all I want and not mess with the broadcast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Why not just use the headphone out for street level / monitor out? That's what I do. That keeps the main separate. I disconnected it for the picture for simplicity sake. The jack and knob for the phones are far right on the mixer.

I get what you are saying with tape out it won't change the monitor volume with main and line changes but I don't see the need. Once you got your line and main set you hopefully won't be changing them. I have another Behringer 12 channel mixer with tape / monitor out but it's so overkill. You could also use the effect out or effect loop I suppose. But for what I have to do this is really perfect. I can jack around with the headphone out all I want and not mess with the broadcast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess on the modern mixers the headphone jack should be OK. They are a lot higher impedance than they used to be. It's good to run this way so you can set your FM signal and never have it change. Then you can leave the channel volume alone and only use the master volume to set your outdoor sound levels. I suppose that's why they didn't add tape out to that little mixer. I think it's way to go .. and such a great box for the money. The only thing that would make it even better is if it had all RCA jacks instead of 1/4". Might still move to it. The sound quality of these new mixers is far superior to even the pro gear from 10 to 15 years ago !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm thinking of also upgrading to the transmitter that sends song info to the newer fm radios. Does this block that output? Or does it go straight through with no changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I'm thinking of also upgrading to the transmitter that sends song info to the newer fm radios. Does this block that output? Or does it go straight through with no changes?

Well I'm glad I got the 302. I have also been doing it with the head phone jack as you did most the season. I'll get a hub and try it this way. Thanks for the info.