Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM transmitter antenna

So I picked up a Ramsey FM25B and it comes with a whip antenna. I will test this over the coming weekend but I expect it will be insufficient.
    What antenna do you recommend? I would like specifics. I know a 1/4 wave ground plane is probably what I want. Did you make yours or buy it? What special stuff do I need to connect the antenna?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FM transmitter antenna

For many years we have all been using a quarter wave Antenna from the website fmdxantenna.com. It was around $72 shipped for a variable antenna that you can tune to your frequency. There are many discussions here about those antennas ....

UNFORTUNATELY - I just tried the site and it is down. I hope maybe it is simply have a host problem. But maybe gone. I'll keep an eye out. Perhaps someone here has one they would sell ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is the one I built. It cost me about $5 and I am very happy with it.
    http://www.diylightanimation.com/wik...ve_Antenna.pdf

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's one that is similar to the ones we have all been buying.

3dB Powerful 1 4 Wavelength 88 108MHz GP BNC Antenna for Radio FM Transmitter | eBay

Even if this auction has ended, there are a bunch of these for sale. Search around because the prices vary widely for the exact same antenna !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    This is the one I built. It cost me about $5 and I am very happy with it.
    http://www.diylightanimation.com/wik...ve_Antenna.pdf
    How did you do this for $5??? Do you have any pictures? It looks really simple but the Romex is over 5 by itself.
    Can this be deep inside a house (aka: attic) and work? Tripplett, I know you said you hung yours from the bedroom ceiling.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Radio Shack has it for like $4.50. I had one on hand from my ham radio days but I can find them online for under $3. I had the solid wire on hand as well for the radials so really it cost me nothing. I don't have any pictures as it is buried in the attic. I'd be happy to help you build one if you wanted to try. If I can dig it out Of the attic I can bring it to the meeting but it isn't pretty, just functional. Yes I ran a screw up into the ceiling (hopefully into a joist) and tied some string onto it. The antenna is hung from that each year. I keep saying I will mount it in the attic permanently and then just connect the cable come Christmastime. But alas I didn't do that the last two years. Still it gets a great signal out to 1/2 mile easily. I kinda don't want to move it for fear of putting out too much signal but I need my closet this year. Therefore yes it will go in the attic with the cable tucked just inside an access hatch till I need it.
    Thanks EricR thanked for this post
    Dislikes EricR disliked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm guessing you are referring to the SO239 at RadioShack. I'll get the parts and attempt to build this. The Romex is what is confusing. Are they just using a single solid copper wire from the Romex for each piece? So I could buy less 14/3 Romex and use all the wires inside?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM transmitter antenna

I used a roll of green solid (12-14g?) wire for the radials. Just pulled the insulation off where needed and straightened it out. But yea Romex will work too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Does anyone have the Ramsey FM25B. I am trying to verify the tuning voltage at TP1. Where do I touch for ground and positive? Is the positive at the resistor or the little wire by the arrow head? Do you ground at the J3 and if so which solder joint? Thanks.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have one, but bought it assembled. If you want to look at it to see, let me know.

---------------------------
    - Scott M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks @scottmcl. Mine is prebuilt as well. It did transmit clean signal with the whip antenna. I wanted to verify that it was at optimal tuning.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ahhh, I just measured mine the first time and locked it down. Somehow I got it right the first time! Though I've carried it to so many events that I think I need to check it again to make sure it's still right.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Does anyone have the Ramsey FM25B. I am trying to verify the tuning voltage at TP1. Where do I touch for ground and positive? Is the positive at the resistor or the little wire by the arrow head? Do you ground at the J3 and if so which solder joint? Thanks.
    Hi Eric. I did not reply to the because so darned much of my Christmas crap is still boxed up from our move last year. Been building another <external> garage since October. I am finally done and signed off. So now I am starting to unpack things. Once I run across the setup doc for the FM25B, I'll let you know the details. Hopefully soon. I remember what the briefcase looks like that has everything in it ! Now I just have to stumble across it. about 60 to 80 boxes to unpack, mostly my workshop.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What ever help you can provide would be appreciated. I have the manual and the thing works as of now. I just wanted to make sure it was properly tuned but unclear where to get a ground on the board. I can bring it to the TASL meeting if it will jog your memory.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    What ever help you can provide would be appreciated. I have the manual and the thing works as of now. I just wanted to make sure it was properly tuned but unclear where to get a ground on the board. I can bring it to the TASL meeting if it will jog your memory.
    Sounds good. Or I will find something sooner.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole