Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FM transmitter antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I use the Behringer 502 you mentioned and it can be powered from a USB adapter so 5v. I love it. It is popular enough that there is even built in features in FPP to have audio go from the Pi to the 502 through USB digital then out to your speakers.
    If you ever add an FM transmitter, then you can use the tape output (rca jacks) to drive the transmitter's input. That volume goes up and down with the channel volume but not the master. Then once you get it set with the perfect input signal strength for the FM, then use your master output (and master volume control) for the outside speakers. That will keep your FM signal from changing when you move the master volume. You can turn your master volume to zero and your FM will continue perfectly.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    In case you care. I tested it and everything worked this weekend. I got about 1/3 mile of clean reception with default settings that it came with from eBay.
    Do people mount these somehow or just throw them in a box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    what frequency are you using? Seems almost every channel has some sort of broadcast on it! I was testing on 90.3fm.

Also I was trying to test the voltage at r21 but I'm not sure what is a good ground point on the board?
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

In Cary I've been using 92.9 FM. You can find free channels on radio-locator.com or on a few other sites that show what is used/free.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

In Cary I've been using 92.9 FM. You can find free channels on radio-locator.com or on a few other sites that show what is used/free.
    I was going to use 92.9 as well. Tripplett we are 1.1 miles away. If you keep your power down like last year we shouldn't interfere with each other. I'm not even getting .5 miles in your direction.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post

Also I was trying to test the voltage at r21 but I'm not sure what is a good ground point on the board?
    I never found a ground point.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I used that web site and it said 90.3fm was the best open frequency in this area and it seems to be empty.

I never found a ground point.

ok I guess I'm not blind then either LOL nothing in the manual that I could find and nothing noted on the board as to a suitable ground test point.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was going to use 92.9 as well. Tripplett we are 1.1 miles away. If you keep your power down like last year we shouldn't interfere with each other. I'm not even getting .5 miles in your direction.

I think we will be fine. I don't even make it to Cary Parkway - and that is fine by me. So as the crow flies best guess straight in your direction I'm short of Food Lion a good bit.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think we will be fine. I don't even make it to Cary Parkway - and that is fine by me. So as the crow flies best guess straight in your direction I'm short of Food Lion a good bit.
    I have kept mine low on purpose as well. I definitely don't make it to Food Lion. I tried 90.3 and 106.5 and they both had a little interference.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I used that web site and it said 90.3fm was the best open frequency in this area and it seems to be empty.
    Then that's your station. Where I live that station gets interference from something.

Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

what frequency are you using? Seems almost every channel has some sort of broadcast on it! I was testing on 90.3fm.

actually it's TP1 for the voltage test point at r21... I figured out the grounding test points, the screws that hold the board to the case bottom, at least the two towards the front work. I adjusted the voltage on mine to read as close to 9.0VDC as I could get it, while set to broadcast on 107.9fm. The adjuster is very sensitive and it takes a moment for the adjustment to show a voltage change.

Then I streamed IHeartRadio on my phone and connected with the headphone jack to the transmitter and turned on my portable radio tuned to 90.3fm and got crystal clear reception. I have everything setup for testing in the garage. I also checked with the radio in my van and that picked it up great too, even through the metal garage door. Next test is to drive around the neighborhood and see what we get and adjust the output power to the minimum needed.

The only issue so far is very minor, the sound seems to be very low, I had to turn up the radio volume a good amount above where I normally have it set. I did adjust the two 'gain' controls and that made a difference. I'm sure the computer will have a different input volume so I won't worry too much about it until the show is up and running...
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM transmitter antenna

The first year my sound was lower than "normal stations". For year two I ran the output through a mixer. I was able to normalize and eq the mix as well as boost it to match surrounding stations. It really made a difference. I mentioned using a Behringer USB 502 mixer in another thread. It also directly connects with a FPP if you choose so you can go digital from the FPP to the mixer.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So the lower volume is somewhat normal then.

The Behringer USB 502 mixer looks like a nice setup, probably will add one next year... I know Denny is a big fan of it as well.
    Joel

Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So the lower volume is somewhat normal then.

The Behringer USB 502 mixer looks like a nice setup, probably will add one next year... I know Denny is a big fan of it as well.
    I don't actually use that mixer. But it's laid out perfectly for being able to vary your outside speakers without changing your FM setting. I use the Behringer Compressor-Expander for my FM broadcast, and it's excellent. So I figure for such low money this Behringer is the way to go. A lot of other Christmas sites also seem to recommend it.

My first carrerr before computer design was designing large sound systems for Theaters, touring bands and stadiums. Even designed a TV studio for a giant Baptist church (plus all their sound). I used to work on the big Blossom Music center amphitheater sound system near Akron Ohio. Similar to our Redhat amphitheater but might be a little bigger than Redhat.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I placed my antenna in the 'attic' space above our patio and ran the wire through the ceiling, so now that's 'permanently' setup.
    I connected everything up to test it out and see what the range was and if test if I needed to changed the output power. Seems 90.3fm has a NPR type station from somewhere broadcasting as there was tons of interference. I went back to the FM/radio locator site and it says 90.3 is the best option, guess not! I switched over to 90.9 and that was clear. I set everything up and drove up and down the block to check sound and range and all is well, I get clear sound for about 2-3 houses in both directions, more than enough range. I have the output power a bit less than 1/2 way up from the lowest setting.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I placed my antenna in the 'attic' space above our patio and ran the wire through the ceiling, so now that's 'permanently' setup.
    I connected everything up to test it out and see what the range was and if test if I needed to changed the output power. Seems 90.3fm has a NPR type station from somewhere broadcasting as there was tons of interference. I went back to the FM/radio locator site and it says 90.3 is the best option, guess not! I switched over to 90.9 and that was clear. I set everything up and drove up and down the block to check sound and range and all is well, I get clear sound for about 2-3 houses in both directions, more than enough range. I have the output power a bit less than 1/2 way up from the lowest setting.
    Excellent ! Show us some pictures !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole