Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDM RDS LED on order.... Antenna???

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default EDM RDS LED on order.... Antenna???

Setup the Halloween show and as my last step - plugged in the old fm transmitter from last season..... hummmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmm

Damnit.

Mess with it for 2 hours, cannot seem to get rid of the feint background hum.

Screw it. I spent all this time and money on lights, and now my weakest link is a $35 Chinese knock-off transmitter....

RDS EDM LED now on order....

Someone in the know- please talk to me about external antennas and how best to (subtlety) mount them?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: EDM RDS LED on order.... Antenna???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Setup the Halloween show and as my last step - plugged in the old fm transmitter from last season..... hummmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmm

Damnit.

Mess with it for 2 hours, cannot seem to get rid of the feint background hum.

Screw it. I spent all this time and money on lights, and now my weakest link is a $35 Chinese knock-off transmitter....

RDS EDM LED now on order....

Someone in the know- please talk to me about external antennas and how best to (subtlety) mount them?
    Hi Paul. There are several detailed threads about antennas. Most of us have had the best luck with the quarter wave adjustable (tune-able) model. I have mine mounted on a mic stand, but I also use an inline 1W amp. Height is your friend with 100mw .. You will also need a good quality antenna wire. I didn't keep track of where I got mine. But I believe Radio Shack has some good ones (and some cheap ones) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks!

Just read through them all...

I MAY wait till he EDM gets here and see how it is without the external- but then I'd hate to wait another WEEK ( or more) for an antenna if I then decide its insufficient.... Arg!

Halloween is only 2 weeks away!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i have the same transmitter - super nice!!! You could technically just use the rubber ducky that they ship with it but anything you build would probably be better. My rubber ducky worked to the end of the street - maybe 1/8 mile.

As an Extra class HAM I can help you with an antenna. It doesn't have to be fancy or shiny, just have to be tuned for a low SWR. The one I made for my show last year was made from 12g solid copper wire and a so239 jack from Radio Shack (Radioshack - Products). Basically a ground plane like on this site - BUILD A GROUND PLANE ANTENNA FOR 2 METERS AND MORE - SIMPLE AND EASY!. Believe it or not it was hung from the ceiling in my master bedroom closet on the ground floor and that worked fine out to about 1/2 mile before it started cutting out. If I tuned it at all and moved it either outside or up on the roof it would go much further. I was fine with what I had.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just received the EDM RDS LCD.

Frankly shocked that that nice little mini USB port is not really a USB port... It requires a serial port?

WTF?

Seriously perturbed that I spent $300 on a transmitter and it Requires hardware that was state-of-the-art umm- about 25 years ago.

Seriously? A serial port? Obviously, since most my computers are less than 20 yrs old, no serial ports to be found....

!$!!&!&!& ?&$@/:"?!!!'

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I bought the RDS version as well. I don't know if I'll ever use it but I like having the option. Most forum posts on the matter say they want people watching the lights, not the radio. I can see using it to plug TASL, song list, or to mention how to donate to your favorite cause, etc. Yes, it is odd that they would require a serial port. Someone is bound to find an alternate for that if they haven't already. Contact EDM lad let them know your thoughts. Other than that I love it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i know waiting is tuff but if you check out this link i think you ll like it oh the humm you are having comes from the power line a Baldwin may solve it or just move to a different circuit .FM DX Antenna Co: Tunable 1/4-wave FM Broadcast Transmitter Antenna, FM Transmitter Antennas speaking of balwins i went looking for one on the net and remembered the rs 485 from lor has one on its input usb lead check it out one might be had from radio shack.serial port adapters to usb can be found as well
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's annoying, but not the end of the world. Just use a $8 usb to serial adapter and you'll be in good shape.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    It's annoying, but not the end of the world. Just use a $8 usb to serial adapter and you'll be in good shape.
    Well, all I could find was a $25 cable from radio shack- didn't have many choices on a Saturday night.

I will try a cheap I one from Amazon/eBay and return the expensive one if it works....

The longer term issue with the dumb serial port is integration with the raspberry pi- which is my next step. THAT can't be solved with a simple adapter apparently.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ordered the antenna from FM DX and 2 weeks later.... Nothing.

Been trying to call/email them for over a week with zero response.

I think they are out of business :-(

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hopefully you will get it. I have one and it works great! I have it mounted in my attic where it's been for about 4 years.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It looks ok. That is coming from China so you may want to find one stateside.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The one drawback I can think of is the two parts screw together. That's great for storage but if corrosion gets in there and you lose the connection then you're essentially transmitting on a shorter antenna and that would be bad for the transmitter. A little bit of corrosion inhibitor would be fine and it's not outside all year so that shouldn't be a problem especially if you put it in your attic instead of outside

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That appears to be very similar to the antenna I have; it's not as tune-able as they imply.

No issues with corrosion on the screw-together parts; I leave mine up all year around. It is now mounted to the Dish Networks dish mount, since I don't currently use their service. Works well there, and I didn't have to patch the holes left by removing the mount, since it's still there.

Mine only came with two upright sections; the one you link to shows more, so you can select the one that's closer to your transmitter frequency.

I was (and still am) using one of those cheap Chinese transmitters. When I was on 94.3 Mhz, it "splattered" around because the antenna wasn't tuned that close, and I had to use an attenuator inline to keep from "walking over" the rest of the FM band close to my house. A commercial station came up locally on that frequency, I moved to 87.7 Mhz, the antenna works much better; no attenuator needed, and my range is good.

And yes, I had some hum in the line. A couple of ferrite beads on the power and audio inputs took care of that issue.