Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default fm transmitter

Since I am new to the convention and LOR what kind of transmitter do I need? I need it to transmit several hundred feet

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: fm transmitter

This is the one I bought. It's pretty strong hope it don't bite me lol. It cranks way out.

http://www.mobileblackbox.com/content/view/43/77/
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There are two lower cost transmitters that are favorites here:

Ramsey FM25B http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...tion&key=FM25B

EDM http://www.edmdesign.com/index.html

They are both sold as kits but the EDM is mostly built. The assembly takes about 5 minutes (or less) and requires soldering the power connector (3 wires) and plugging one microchip into it's socket. Most models come with case and power supply but check when you order.

There are also models of both unit with added features for a little more cost. The EDM with the display and the Ramsey FM30B are examples. They are the same as the entry models but with displays added ..

There are sellers on eBay that offer the Ramsey fully assembled for a few bucks more. There's one up on eBay now for $160, assembled. Ramsey is my personal favorite.

You can get at least 200 feet or more with the attached antenna on the Ramsey. I am not sure if the EDM has a small attached antenna.

If you want to buy a reliable antenna for more distance, I recommend this tunable quarter wave model: http://www.fmdxantenna.com/products.php?cat=7

For those that want to kick out a half mile or more, add the Ramsey inline amp to any existing FM transmitter (and good antenna)
    http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ion&key=FMBA1C
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the links now just have to talk the wife into it lol

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It doesn't even have to be fancy. I mounted my antenna to a 2' pipe and stuck it in a downspout. That way, there were no holes in the house and it was high enough to broadcast a long way.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yall do know that the FCC limits you to 1 watt of output power without a license. Just something to keep in mind when shopping for a transmitter.

I use a 0.3 watt and if you can see the house you can hear the audio. That is plenty big enough. Although i don't recommend the one that i have I'm going to buy a different one for next year because mine has a hummmm between songs. I'm using a Vast Elec FM-02 the sell for $30 - $45 depending on who you buy from.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky2710 View Post
    Yall do know that the FCC limits you to 1 watt of output power without a license. Just something to keep in mind when shopping for a transmitter.

I use a 0.3 watt and if you can see the house you can hear the audio. That is plenty big enough. Although i don't recommend the one that i have I'm going to buy a different one for next year because mine has a hummmm between songs. I'm using a Vast Elec FM-02 the sell for $30 - $45 depending on who you buy from.
    A better quality external antenna will give you a nice boost, even with the same transmitter. You also need a good antenna cable to minimize losses and noise between the transmitter and your antenna. The location of the antenna can also make a big difference. As you can see below @scottmcl found that his gutter gave him great performance !

Actually the FCC limits are only 100 milliwatt (one tenth of one watt). But many of us are running up to about one watt. When I first added my one watt FM amp (via a Ramsey kit), I was able to go a couple miles. I was nearly making it to downtown Cary. I was not comfortable with that, so I took the antenna off the roof and mounted it on a microphone stand on my front porch. Now I get a fairly clean quarter mile, which is about what I needed so cars could keep my FM station on while they drive around my street (Crimmons Circle).

In order to avoid any FCC issues, make sure you always find a channel that is clear. And don't leave your transmitter on when your show is not running. Even if you are not sending out music, your carrier is still holding that frequency in your area. So always leave them off when not in use. Generally the FCC is not looking to bust Christmas houses unless you are causing trouble for a licensed station...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

please do some reading on this and other forums befor making up your mind and also read and have a working understanding of f.c.c. part 15 my vote is edm but thats just me i also use a 1/4 wave tunable external antenna

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    please do some reading on this and other forums befor making up your mind and also read and have a working understanding of f.c.c. part 15 my vote is edm but thats just me i also use a 1/4 wave tunable external antenna
    Quick background for John .. we have two transmitter "camps" here .. the Ramsey guys and the EDM guys. You cannot go wrong either way ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

a lot has been talked about here on transmitters im sure there are good ones(even a blind squirrel gets one every once in a while)im one of the newer folks around here(3 years)when i first started i checked out all of them i asked questions and did a lot of reading and coming from a family that has been the radio world for a while and knowing just enuff about electronics to not to get locked up or dead i bought an edm and an outside antenna and 50 foot of coax cable the standing wave is 1.2 to1 almost a perfect match(the antenna is tunable to achieve this yes some come with rubber duck s or telescoping ones build in the edm comes with a wire (test )antenna for my limited money i go edm again BUT NEVER THE LESS DO THE RESEARCH CHECK THE FCC LAWS KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND WHAT WORKS AND WHAT WONT.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    a lot has been talked about here on transmitters im sure there are good ones(even a blind squirrel gets one every once in a while)im one of the newer folks around here(3 years)when i first started i checked out all of them i asked questions and did a lot of reading and coming from a family that has been the radio world for a while and knowing just enuff about electronics to not to get locked up or dead i bought an edm and an outside antenna and 50 foot of coax cable the standing wave is 1.2 to1 almost a perfect match(the antenna is tunable to achieve this yes some come with rubber duck s or telescoping ones build in the edm comes with a wire (test )antenna for my limited money i go edm again BUT NEVER THE LESS DO THE RESEARCH CHECK THE FCC LAWS KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND WHAT WORKS AND WHAT WONT.
    And speaking of the standing wave <SWR> meter .. I have the loaner from last year. Does it belong to you ? I will bring it to the TASL meeting on the 24th ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

why yes it does denny and thanks for remembering itif any one in your area needs or wants to check thieir rigs swr now would be a good time lower swr means a clearer longer signal.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

is it really necessary to spend $200 on a Ramsey or EDM or is the $85 Amazon model enough for a while? i ask because this is my first year and every time I tell my wife I need 'x' to get through our first Christmas year with lights and sound i'm met with a bit of skepticism. I have already a 12 strand mega tree with 3 level rgb star along with many other floods and rgb items for the yard. I tend to gravitate toward the high end of most stuff I purchase because I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but man, $200? if you say I won't be happy with anything less than an EDM or Ramsey then I'll believe you. I also hold an Extra amateur radio license so I do want to comply with all regulations.
    Likes nickdico liked this post

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

tripplet if you put them side by side i ll bet the edm comes out ahead in quality the lights are only 45 % of your display audio is the other 55 %