Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Maker Faire NC

MF NC is in two months!

I'll be there again this year, so if you want to talk about LaunchPads, BoosterPacks, or lights, stop by my desk.

Maker Faire North Carolina

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Maker Faire NC

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG View Post
    MF NC is in two months!

I'll be there again this year, so if you want to talk about LaunchPads, BoosterPacks, or lights, stop by my desk.

I would like to know more about how to get involved with Maker Faire. My son's FIRST Robotics team (the HItchhikers) always have a display there .. Unfortunately my daughter's wedding is the same day this year, but I would love to organize a ChristmasCarolina pixel display for next year's Maker Faire .. with custom made light effects, China pixels, kit-built controllers, etc ...

Let's set a time for coffee one of these days soon to discuss that and your Christmas Show plans ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is anyone coming?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is anyone coming?
    Sorry .. A lot of folks here may not follow the Maker Faire stuff. I would like to learn from you how we can organize a really nice Christmas lights display for next year. I really wanted to go thei year because my sons's team "The Hitchhikers" had their robot there. If by chance you saw the orange bot that was throwing the 25" ball, that was my son's team. He helped make the drive system for that bot ..

My daughter was married Saturday in Georgia .. two down... two to go .. Number 3 is engaged for an Oct 2015 wedding.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Danny,
    I think your son's team was across from my table (I was next to the guitar guy.)

How much space do you think you will need? The standard table is 8' long, but if you can justify need for more space, they will give you several tables in the middle.
    I can ask MF guys to locate my table next to yours, since I will have some lighting stuff as well (this year I had few flood lights and some pixel strings.)

BTW, congrats on the wedding.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I guess it depends on how much stuff we want to display. I envision a full sync lights and music show with pixels. Almost all of my effects are home made.

We'll work on the plans and hardware selections after the Christmas season. I can supply the sequencing and we'll collaborate on the over demo ..

How much space behind the table is included ? Can we have floor standing stuff also ..? Post some pictures of your setup, if you have some.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you get the table by the wall, you only get space 8' wide and whatever is behind you (~4'.)
    If you get the whole middle space, you will get eight 8' tables and about 13' x 13' space inside.
    However, if you need more space or different layout, they will try to accommodate.

https://www.facebook.com/makerfairen...type=3&theater
    https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...22036465_o.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

How do they decide who gets the larger space ? Do you pay for the space ?

Seems like we could make up a pretty spectacular show ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Maker Faire NC

They will start taking applications in January and will now include space size request on the application.

Here's what Kevin from MF NC wrote:
    "A bit of Christmas in June with a Maker spin on it could be AWESOME!"

Let's get together one day and do a little sketch, so we can present it to MF organizers in early Jan.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They will start taking applications in January and will now include space size request on the application.

Here's what Kevin from MF NC wrote:
    "A bit of Christmas in June with a Maker spin on it could be AWESOME!"

Let's get together one day and do a little sketch, so we can present it to MF organizers in early Jan.
    Great news. We can select ONLY completly home-made effects for the display. We can also make sure to use only kit built and DIY controllers. The display should be entirely Maker oriented. I think we could also use this as a springboard for new membership in the club too !

Is there a date for the 2015 Maker Faire ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No date yet, but assume mid June.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No date yet, but assume mid June.
    Let's keep track of this for 2015, and figure out how to get a decent sized table. We could have the most noticeable display in the show ! Local TASL members may want to join in. I would be happy to bring some pixel effects, synchronized to music.

Has the date been set ? Could we sign up now ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No date yet, but I am keeping my finger on the pulse

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No date yet, but I am keeping my finger on the pulse
    Great .. keep us posted.

I have custom designed effect that is fully self contained that would make a great centerpiece. Pic attached. The 8 tubes have 17 pixels (3 LEDs each pixel), and 408 channels. Plus the 8 RGB ornaments on the bottom for another 24 channels. It might be tricky to get the top section to the show, but in my display I have a 6 foot tall 4-sided Bethlehem star with 12 channels of lights on it. My PVC candy cane pinwheels are another great home-made creation that could be incorporated. The most difficult part of doing a show like that is the software. Since these are already in my show, it would be reduce the sequencing effort significantly.

What we're able to display would be mostly dependent on how much space we're allowed to use !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imag0203.jpg   -imag0207.jpg   -imag0209.jpg   -img_1134_small.jpg   -beth-star-1_sm.jpg  

-cc-pinwheel-1-small.jpg  
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-22-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks like there will be no MF NC in 2015.
    Let's hope someone will take it over.