Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default lor to E1.3.1 protocal bridge

all you guys waiting for lor to give us E1.3.1 might want to check this out it sounds like a good thing if lor stumbles on the time frame this year http://www.sandevices.com/E131toLORProtocolBridge.html
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nice!
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: lor to E1.3.1 protocal bridge

Nice find Mike. One matter that concerns me is converting from RS485 to ethernet then to pixel format might have some timing drawbacks. RS485 and pixel format are fairly slow data streams but ethernet is quite fast. In this case the slow protocol would feed the fast protocol then convert to another slow protocol. Going straight from the PC to ethernet then converting to pixel would be the best. The gentleman that is designing this board is experienced and talented and likely has considered timing conversion issues already. I would want to see it in action for a year on someone else's house before I committed. However, I am wrong a lot.
    Al

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Interesting......looks like four "DMX1000" devices, huh? I assume they mean iDMX1000.

I can't tell from the product blurb if the device uses a licensed version of the LOR protocol. I'm not sure that's necessary; it's not a clone of anything that LOR is currently selling.

I don't think this is a production board yet, either. No pricing. But I'm interested, even if it's a short-lived product LOR is supposed to have E1.31 support out in mid-year, but no firm promises. After Al in Raleigh ended up with some free servo dogs because of firm promises, I don't think they'll ever do that again.

Oh how I wish I had the spare cash to participate in Mark's group buy on the E1.31 devices (now closed)

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Interesting......looks like four "DMX1000" devices, huh? I assume they mean iDMX1000.

I can't tell from the product blurb if the device uses a licensed version of the LOR protocol. I'm not sure that's necessary; it's not a clone of anything that LOR is currently selling.

I don't think this is a production board yet, either. No pricing. But I'm interested, even if it's a short-lived product LOR is supposed to have E1.31 support out in mid-year, but no firm promises. After Al in Raleigh ended up with some free servo dogs because of firm promises, I don't think they'll ever do that again.

Oh how I wish I had the spare cash to participate in Mark's group buy on the E1.31 devices (now closed)
    If I understand properly it doesn't have to be licensed if used as a DMX device running LOR controllers in DMX mode. However, reverse engineering the LOR data stream is a no-no without a license.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It looks like the LOR display also shows DMX1000 instead of iDMX. And their picture of the LOR screen shows them mixed together with a real iDMX. It's implied that the configuration is to run in DMX mode, because they state that "each DMX1000 will attach to a standard LOR (Light-O-Rama) network, and appear to the LOR software as four 512-channel controllers." Rather than 32 16-channel controllers. I suspect that the only thing they are "fooling" is the LOR software to show the extra controllers. The rest is just DMX out. This is a nice way to get a bunch of DMX into the yard ! I would be happy with just one or two DMX Universes - - to push some high density DMX controllers with my light traditional light strings attached.

It seems much simpler to me that I would want to go directly from E1.31 to the pixel strings for everything else.

I guess that's an individual thing since a lot of gadgets could want a nearby DMX source for handfuls of little DMX controllers too. This is getting fun ! There are going to be a lot of choices coming down the road ..

I expect to see the bigger sellers (like LOR) adopting different connector standards for the PIXEL technologies. To allow their buyers to plug n play easily without getting things mixed up. So as we make our direct purchases from companies like SanDevices & Ray Wu (China), we should try to do the same within TASL and CC. Or at least have a really good labeling system along with proper assignment of male a female connectors. Then over time we can move our connector standards to more closely match what the pro/retail industry is doing.

Hey, who's that rock n roll looking dude with the face taking over all my posts ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, until I looked closely, I thought it was a really ugly woman.

I get the impression that this device is misunderstood. It's not an E1.31 controller, and doesn't provide DMX out. It's a converter, similar to the iDMX1000. It will appear to be four iDMX1000's to the LOR software, so you can use your E1.31 controllers now, rather than wait for LOR to get their drivers working. Input is the LOR network, output is Ethernet. I misunderstood that myself until I read it more than once.

I believe this is a limited life product, because once LOR does finally release their E1.31 drivers there will be no more need for this device, just as there is now no need for an iDMX1000.

Link to board designer's discussion:
    LOR E601 and other DMX - Page 3

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I believe this is a limited life product, because once LOR does finally release their E1.31 drivers there will be no more need for this device, just as there is now no need for an iDMX1000.
    I agree Jack, LOR pretty much has to make their software compatible with E1.31 or everyone that's getting into RGB will jump ship to other software. I personally don't have a need yet, but will start playing around with it when the software is upgraded.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This device is being designed by the same guy, Jim St. John, that developed the E680/681 line of protocol convertors/controllers. It does appear to LOR like 4 iDMX's (or whatever they're called), and then spits out E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet). This way, you can use Jim's E68x controllers or j1sys's PIXAD8/R12 or any other E1.31 device on an LOR network.

Now, how does S3 handle this? You have to send the right stuff to whatever you put out there. So you need to configure S3 for RGB channels, but this should work just fine.

I don't know if Jim has licensed the LOR protocol or not, but given that it emulates and is detected by the LOR HW utility as an iDMX, either he did a great job of hacking it, or he licensed it.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Even more interesting, since it maps the same number of channels as the E68x boards .. Dang ! Pretty clever. It can connect off the LOR network from any controller you pick .. I was wondering why it only had two Cat-5s on the LOR side .. in and out like any other LOR ...

Denny, until I looked closely, I thought it was a really ugly woman.

Yep, that's me with my Ozzie getup !
    Last edited by kidcole; 02-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

According to the link I provided above, after my post in it, this doesn't appear near release ready yet.

I will post progress updates. I'm not far enough along yet to know how bad the LOR network will bog down when trying to control a lot of pixels. The LOR network is a bit strange in the way it works.
    I thought the same thing about DMX initially. DMX does a constant refresh of light settings, which has its set of advantage. LOR issues a command to do something, and expects the controller to comply, which it usually does; a different set of advantages. Neither protocol actually checks to make sure there's a controller out there to respond to the commands except in some testing software and some interactive processes.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Part of the reason the amount of addresses is the same is due to the choice of Ethernet interface. The WizNet 812 module can handle up to 4 sockets worth of data, which translated to DMX universes. So that's why both the E68x and his new LOR convertor can deal with up to 4 universes or 2048 channels of data.

There's a new chipset coming out that interfaces to the PROP chip that can handle more sockets, and so would be able to handle more universes. However, since it's different enough, it's not a drop-in replacement yet and so will require more coding to get it to work.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Project Update: From Jim St. John (posted in the aussie forum)

Well, it's working. I finally had to split the software that interprets the LOR commands into two separate processors on the propeller CPU, due to running out of memory. That code is all in assembler, and each processor (or 'cog') only has 512 32-bit words for code. It got so tight that I was having to do crazy things to save memory, and that was really slowing me down. Anyway, the LOR protocol has a lot of commands that are only used for the first 16 channels, back from the days of the early LOR controllers. So, I split the code for those commands off into a 2nd processor, that freed up a lot of room, and from then on things went very quickly.

Basically the software was set to trap whenever it encountered an LOR command that it didn't understand, and each time that happened I would look at the data stream vs the sequence that was running in order to figure out what the 'new' command was trying to do, and add that command to the code.

At this point I think I have them all identified, but there's always the possibility that there are still some missing ones that I just haven't encountered. So today I hooked the pieces together so that I could send E1.31 packets from the DMX values that I build from the LOR commands, and at this point I'm able to drive pixels via LOR->bridge->E681->pixels.

I haven't tested on a large scale yet, just one 50-pixel string, but everything seems to work including fades, twinkle, shimmer, etc.

There's still some work to be done, but I made more progress than I expected to this weekend.

I should have the revised PC boards in hand Friday and hope to have them built and tested over the weekend.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This would also work great for a small amount of pixels in an application using the LOR MP3 Director units
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is the operating manual, released Feb 20, 2012

http://www.sandevices.com/documents/...ing_Manual.pdf
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com