Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: lor s 3

I could not figure out if they were offering an upgrade price for S2 advanced users ... I sent them an email.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There is a license check with your email address and the first set of characters from your license code...

I'm good for now
    Your license covers version 3.0. There is no reason to renew your license at this time.
    Rob

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, yes. $30 unless you have upgraded in the last year which I don't think you did.
    http://store.lightorama.com/solire.html

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I told myself I wasn't updating until after christmas. Now I have S3 installed and tested all my sequences! It's Nice!
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ive had S3 for a couple months and can honestly say there are a few additions that make it worth while to have, some of the small features really make it easier and faster than older versions.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Like BJ, been using S3 since mid July, *love it.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

While reading in the S3 help, I found out that S3 supports DMX universe addressing directly IF YOU HAVE AN ADVANCED LICENSE. The addressing seems rather simple so RGB LED nodes is a little simpler now.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes,

In version 3.0.0, the following DMX adapters are officially supported for native DMX devices:

With "Raw DMX" protocol
    ENTTEC Open DMX USB
    LOR USB485 (NOTE: The LOR USB485 does NOT have a physical DMX output jack)

With "ENTTEC DMX USB Pro" protocol
    ENTTEC DMX USB Pro

These have been tested and work. *Some other DMX dongles seem to offset the channels by 1

Edit: *This was introduced w/ Beta release 2.9.114
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

E1.31 support should be coming "soon"
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

THANKS JOHN .. I appreciate the info. Do you know anything about how (or if) they will support industry generic pixel strings - without having to buy them from LOR ?

It would seem that those might be best tied with the E1.31 ...
    Last edited by kidcole; 10-17-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    THANKS JOHN .. I appreciate the info. Do you know anything about how (or if) they will support industry generic pixel strings - without having to buy them from LOR ?

It would seem that those might be best tied with the E1.31 ...
    Hi Denny,

Seems to possibly be some terminology confusion, and it may be me! lol

E1.31 can simply be described as a communications protocol to send DMX over ethernet. To my knowledge, E1.31 does not control anything, it simply transports a dmx signal.

Industry generic pixel strings ? - that term has me confused, lol. Pixel strings contain ic chips that drive the individual LED chips to tell each LED what color it should be at any point in time.

To "talk to" the ic chip in the string, you need to know what protocol the chip understands, and use a controller that will talk to that particular chip. Some common flavors of chips I've seen in pixel strings are: 180x, 2801, 6803. Each requires a different controller to output signals that the chip can understand.

Several controllers are available, the ECG-PIXAD8 and E680 come to mind. LOR also sells the CCR controller by itself ($79.95) and you can supply your own 6803 ribbons.

The LOR CCR uses the 6803 based ribbons. RJ's smart strings use (from memory) 180x strings.

So if you find a pixel controller with DMX input, get the approraiate strings, you can use them with LOR S3 today.

I'm sure Mark can jump in and correct any terminology I may have used incorrectly and give a much more indepth technical explanation. Since my response wasn't designed to be a "How To", I think I just grazed the surface with a general overview.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You can use DMX only if you have an advanced copy of S3. The lack of S3 support for the other license levels will likely present itself as various questions in the next year.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You mean that everyone doesn't already have the Advanced copy ? Oh my, I thought they did lol
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

E1.31 can simply be described as a communications protocol to send DMX over ethernet. To my knowledge, E1.31 does not control anything, it simply transports a dmx signal.

To "talk to" the ic chip in the string, you need to know what protocol the chip understands, and use a controller that will talk to that particular chip. Some common flavors of chips I've seen in pixel strings are: 180x, 2801, 6803. Each requires a different controller to output signals that the chip can understand.
    I am assuming that a good E1.31 adapter will have multiple DMX Universes on the far end (in the yard) .. So then it would boil down to whether LOR would support protocols for the various pixel-string controller chips out there (such as the three you listed).

I am quite interested in updating to LOR S3. But I fear that LOR may only support one of them (or worse, only their own offering). In that case it would seem better off to go with Light Show Pro (LSP) since they seem to be very aggressively supporting a large and growing list of compatible controllers. I'd like to build a small mega-tree next year from pixel strings (if possible. But my budget will be a lot happier if I can direct-buy the strings, rather than paying a retail middle man. What do you think LOR will do ? I am leaning LOR S3 so I can help more local folks with their software. But LSP looks more attractive on paper ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole