Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default DMX - Servo decoders

Need a cheap DMX-Servo decoder? How about $4 DM-103 or my DMX-RGBW boards.

Since DM-103 has OC outputs, it will require pull-up resistors. DMX-RGBW does not require them.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: DMX - Servo decoders

These are nice Robert. There are not many here who are working with animation. It would be great if you could give an animation demo at the August TASL, to show us how to use DMX channels to manipulate the servos. That might spark some people to create animation.

I have some ideas that would need a servo operated "Lazy Susan" that could handle some weight. My best application would need to support about about 40 pounds. But I also have some light-weight ideas for the same device. It would need to be about 12" to 15" in diameter. DO you know of any plans for such a device (that would run from your low cost interface) ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There are many high torque servos out there, so you should be able to find one that fits your specs.
    However, you might be better off using stepper motor instead of servo (thanks for the idea, I'll design DMX-Stepper board when I find some free time )

For super heavy jobs, you could use linear motors, electric or pneumatic. I have a DMX-DAC board which could be used for pneumatic valves.
    -dmx-dac.jpg

Also, you could use servos to move your spotlights.
    The firmware was written for someone who wanted to control his laser show lights, but wanted to have a very small control board.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG View Post
    There are many high torque servos out there, so you should be able to find one that fits your specs.
    However, you might be better off using stepper motor instead of servo (thanks for the idea, I'll design DMX-Stepper board when I find some free time )

For super heavy jobs, you could use linear motors, electric or pneumatic. I have a DMX-DAC board which could be used for pneumatic valves.
    -dmx-dac.jpg

Also, you could use servos to move your spotlights.
    The firmware was written for someone who wanted to control his laser show lights, but wanted to have a very small control board.
    Cool stuff Robert. I was thinking of being able to move some of my display items. After I wrote the message I was thinking that the torque on stepper motors would be significantly higher than with servos. DMX control of a stepper would be pretty outrageous. Particularly how you would map DMX values to the steppers counts. Although I have never looked for such a device, there may not be anyone making them !

Pneumatics have always intrigued me. I might look into that also .. Ideally I would like the "lazy susan" to be able to move 180 degrees.... 90 degrees in either direction from the zero spot. That might be also be pretty tricky to have a steady motion with pneumatics. Usually air-driven rams move pretty fast .. whereas I would like a slow steady movement.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

In that case, I think servo would be best for you, you just have to find one that is strong enough.
    There are many heavy duty servos, like this one, or even super strong linear one.

DMX-Stepper board will be challenging for several reasons. No current position feedback and large variety of available motors are the biggest ones.
    But hey, we don't do this because it's easy...
    Likes Jack Stevens liked this post